Chapter 22: Everything You Need

When Kaleo heard those words, his heart was racing and his body shivered with excitement. He never felt anything like that for a long time, the feeling of his hopes being fulfilled.

"You did it," he said.

"W-we did it," Lysa responded shakily as she tried to smile.

Even though she was putting up a brave front, Kaleo could hear everything, bringing himself back to the reality that she probably overexerted herself in that chase. Her heartbeats were accelerated and not to mention the rough sounds of her uneven breathing.

Worried that she would collapse, he rushed forward, wincing slightly at the pain on his foot. He had forgotten he hurt it when he tripped.

"There's a place to sit down over there," Sonya spoke. "Are you two alright?"

"I'm okay," he replied, watching Lysa anxiously.

"My chest... feels a little... tight," she said, pausing to take multiple deep breaths. She definitely didn't sound okay as she shakily reached towards her pocket.

Kaleo helped her to a bench as she took out her inhaler, which he had never seen her use. Her hands were trembling so much that he thought she would drop it at any second.

"Let me help," he spoke, holding her hand with his own.

"Okay."

Thankfully, after a couple of deep breaths, that strained sound from her lungs mostly ceased. It was frightening, being able to hear. His stomach twisted as he realised how terrifying it must have been for her, considering it probably happened many times before.

I wish I could have done more...

"I'm okay now," Lysa reassured him.

He could only manage a nod.

"Asthma?" Sonya asked. He almost forgot she was there as well.

"Sort of..." Lysa mumbled.

"I... didn't realise." She sounded genuinely surprised. "I'm sorry. I will make it up to you sometime later."

"You don't have to... I chose to run after all."

Sonya raised an eyebrow but made no comment about it. Instead, she crossed her arms closing her eyes thoughtfully.

"Moving on, a deal is a deal. I will help you to take down the company."

"Really?" Kaleo's eyes were wide. For a brief moment, he was happy that Lysa's efforts were not for nothing. However, he suddenly remembered what Sonya told them earlier and his face fell. "But... what about the employees? You... said that some of them need that job... I..."

It was strange.

"You want to try and help them too? I hate to break it to you but you can't," she said.

Kaleo was so sure he wanted it. He desperately wanted to help the superheroes he admired so much in some way. After seeing the Knight's quiet resignation of how things were, he felt like he had to do something.

"But..."

Now, he wasn't sure. Was it really worth it? Was it something the late hero Vahagn would do?

No, he realised with a pang. He wouldn't have...

A real hero doesn't destroy the lives of other people.

"Everything we do in this world will always hurt something," Sonya spoke up. "Sometimes it's a someone. I'm not telling you to ignore or let go of those feelings you have. After all, that... would be hypocritical of me."