Chapter 21: Pursuit

The first thing that Lysa thought was that everything hurt. Her back, her throat and most importantly her chest, which brought on a stab of pain every time she took a breath.

Suppressing the urge to cough violently, she attempted to stand. A wave of dizziness crashed over her and she collapsed, struggling to breathe.

What... happened...?

She looked at her sweaty palm and froze. It was not sweat on her palms; it was blood.

Everything came back to her. As Caesar tried to kill her, Lysa stabbed him and left him to bleed out as she tried to escape the fire.

Nausea came over her as the world around her started to blur again. She killed a person, and left him to die in the raging fire.

She wanted to throw up but the sound of sirens and shouting echoed in her ears, reminding her of the danger because of what she became. The police would not let go of a murderer.

All she could do was to run.

When the ringing in her ears died down, she felt relief.

But it was only for a moment.

Something cold was wrapped around her neck, like some kind of metal rope. Before she could even register what was happening, she felt a kick on her already unsteady legs and her hands were bound with a metal restraint.

Lysa fell to her knees, choking as she tried futilely to tear it from her neck. The moment she tried to stand, light flashed nearby and she was stuck with a bolt of lightning.

She let out a cry, nearly falling to the ground due to the excruciating pain. No matter how hard she tried, she could barely move.

That was when she realised that she was going to be captured by that organisation Caesar talked about, who thought she was Harbinger.

No... I can't... let myself be captured-

She never got to finish her thoughts as the super discharged another surge of lightning. This time, she fell to the floor, her breathing harsh and erratic as she tried desperately to maintain her consciousness.

The super appeared in front of her, wearing a hood with a mask that covered their face. Upon realising that she was still conscious, streaks of lightning manifested on their gloved hand.

Lysa tried to beg them to stop but nothing came out.

Except for a cry that was cut short.

In the haze of unconsciousness, there was only one thought in her mind.

It hurts...

Screeching of wheels in the background. Tearing of metal. Explosion... and the air outside. Or was she imagining things?

There was a burning pain on her palm, but Lysa could hardly register it, or even anything she was doing.

Make them suffer.

Everything sounded so muffled, even the screaming. Was that super saying something? She couldn't tell.

A sadistic smile formed on her face as she started to choke that super to death. A helpless and terrified face stared back at her as they begged for mercy.

Make them suffer.

The terrified face disappeared, replaced by anguish as the super tried to speak. Not that it mattered, because she couldn't hear it. All she could hear was that one thought in her hazy mind.