Chapter 27: Super Problem

ابدأ من البداية

As Reynard entered the office, the president of Vale Publishing commented dryly, fixing his eyes on him.

"It's been a while since we have talked like this, Andrew," Reynard responded with a smile. "Thought this is the best time to do so, and perhaps usurp your position as the best chess player."

Andrew said nothing, simply bringing out the chessboard and setting the pieces.

"How have you been? I expect that things have been rather hectic," the mayor spoke, making his move.

"Keeping up," was all Andrew said, moving the chess piece. He was distracted by the book he always kept on the shelf, a popular novel about the hero Vahagn.

"It was around this time he joined, wasn't it?" Reynard asked, fixing his gaze on that book as well. "Perhaps you don't need a reminder... but Ezekiel's death was not your fault."

"Nor it was yours."

He was rather taken aback by Andrew's immediate response, though his expression was unchanged. He chuckled. "I don't get hung up on the past."

"Oh really?" Andrew actually laughed, something that was never seen by other people. "Reynard A. Stoic, I think you know. Check."

"I see, then let's move onto another topic, shall we?" Reynard's expression never faltered as he brought the king out of check. "About Harbinger."

Upon hearing that name, the president of Vale Publishing narrowed his eyes.

"If you remember, his last whereabouts are said to be the Cerulean Coast." Reynard carefully made his next move, staring at the chessboard. "Kaleo was there, and I expect his sister to play a part in it too."

Andrew made no comment, taking his turn silently.

"Are you going to continue playing this game?" the mayor asked, amused.

He let out a sigh and smiled. "When you are older, the world around you become duller. But you don't have to. By the way..." he paused, moving a chess piece. "Checkmate."

Reynard chuckled. "That's why you are the champion. I concede. But I must ask, do you really-"

Before he finished his words, Andrew threw a note at him, as if he prepared it beforehand.

"You already know the answer, Einstein."

Reynard couldn't help but grin. "Couldn't you have just told me? But I suppose it's more interesting this way. You always like the first letter, don't you?"

Andrew just smiled.

"Well, I shall take my leave now," the mayor spoke. "Send my regards to Steve. I believe you two have been in frequent contact."

He waved him off, wordlessly telling him to do it himself. His silence was only broken when he had to answer a phone call.

"I see. Make sure none of them do nothing rash. Especially Mr Jones... he already left? Then there's nothing much we can do to stop him. Check on the others."

Upon ending the call, Andrew turned back to Reynard. "There has been a situation. Rosenberg High is on fire."

Reynard gazed out of the window, confirming it for himself. For once, he had nothing to say.

"At a loss, are you?"

"Certainly, it is unexpected, but I'm more concerned of those affected," Reynard spoke with narrowed eyes. "If the situation progresses to what I predict, then there will be a problem."

Andrew sighed, knowing fully what he meant. "What would you do then?"

"I have not run out of cards to use." Reynard couldn't resist smiling in exhilaration. "The chief might have her slight victory, but rest assured, I will win. Just watch the performance and play your role."