Invitations & Sleepovers

Tristan POV

"TRISTAN, GET YOUR LAZY ARSE UP!"

A deep groan came out as my body protested against her command and pulled the covers tighter around me. A second later, the thuds of my mom's footsteps sounded up the stairs sent me into panic as I knew what was going to happen next. I sprung up a little too quickly leading me to see temporary fuzziness and feeling lightheaded.

"I'm up. I'm up!" I exclaim as my door swung open revealing my mom.

"Better be. Now hurry up."

I made my way over to the bathroom as she left me to get ready and went straight for the sink. Splashing cold water against my face always did the trick to help me wake up and the coolness the water left after always felt good. I rubbed the rest of the tiredness out of my eyes with a yawn before looking over myself in the mirror. My gold eyes popped out at me, reminding me to change them to hazel before I leave, which I forgot to do yesterday.

Humans don't naturally have gold eyes and I can't have anyone find out or even getting suspicious of me. I spent the entire day yesterday convincing people that I was wearing contacts when they would ask. Scarlet was the first one that noticed, I didn't even realize I forgot until she said something. It didn't hit me until now but there was familiar energy around her. It was a faint energy that only people from my homeworld give off. Every type of creature, witches and warlocks, beings of the night, and so on had a different one, and it helped others identify who, or what, they are. Those who are proficient in magic can manipulate their energy or conceal it from others.

A knock on the door and my mother's voice on the other side telling me to hurry up snapped me out of my thoughts perked up my my pace as I started to brushed my teeth. I debated flossing before hopping into the shower, but a quick glance at the digital clock about my mirror told me that wasn't an option.

  I relaxed a little stepping out from my shower and lazily wrapped my towel around my waist.

"Ew, the beast is naked."

  My hands clutches my towel tighter around my waist as my eyes snapped to my bed where my little sister's look of disgust greeted me. She pretended to gag as she refocused her attention back to whatever she was doing on my laptop.

"Get out of my room, Thalia!" The annoyance in my voice clear as day which only caused her to look up at me with her big golden orbs and flash her infamous innocent grin.

Thalia adjusted her position on my bed cozying up with my body pillow like there was nothing wrong with her being there using my stuff.

"Why? All I was doing was looking at your computer." She remarked with an innocent look on her face. I snatched my laptop from my bed, and checked what she was doing, which was browsing my web history, before placing it on my desk.

"Well, now your done so GET OUT."

She pouted at me sticking her tongue out and flipping her wavy chocolate brown hair over her shoulders as she reluctantly got up.

"Fine, I just came to tell you that dad called this morning." My muscles tensed as I heard the word "dad" came out of her mouth. It's been over 5 years since I heard from that man and given that our last encounter was a complete disaster that ruined everything, I wasn't planning to hear from him until the last of my days. He's the sole reason my family is here and not back home.

"For what?"

"Beats me. Just thought you should know." Thalia shrugged as she exited my room. My fist clenched hard as I felt my blood boil. My lights flickered for a bit, signaling that I needed to calm down. Thalia was only 8 at the time and was home with our sitter when everything happened, so while she has an idea of what happened, she didn't fully understand what was going on to the extent that it happened, so her hatred doesn't burn as deep for him as mine does.