Number One

“Just by holding your hand, I have the whole world in mine.”

Number One

Arashi Katsuragi was busy investigating the middle-class neighborhood, making sure he had at least thirty minutes to finish his rounds before showing up at his girlfriend’s doorstep.

So far, everything looked normal. A few joggers here and there, noisy cars, barking dogs, people getting ready for work and school. It was a typical Monday morning. Nothing seemed out of place.

Good.

He was about to ring her door bell but caught himself pulling back. He was sure she wouldn’t appreciate the gesture. The way she ignored him the whole weekend, it was something she had never done since they met each other two years ago. He blamed Ivan for this. Of all times to squeeze himself in the picture, the bastard chose the night where he planned to lay bare his real feelings for her. He waited for this chance for years. It only took the Russian minutes to ruin all the planning.

But could he blame his friend? His sudden appearance couldn’t be simply a whimsical decision on his part. Ivan coming out of his hiding could only mean one thing.

Arashi sighed, deeply, as if he was trying to breathe out all the negative thoughts swirling in his mind.

He paced back to his car and waited. If he listened hard enough, he could hear the noise coming out from her kitchen. He smiled at the thought of her cooking. She had always been a great cook, and he loved everything she made – from baked pastries to French meals to exotic Thai snacks, even her not-so-ordinary morning coffee. Thinking about how contented she was with her current lifestyle brought Arashi back to the issue at hand.

She was safe and happy. He wouldn’t allow anyone to ruin that. Being involved with the past was out of the question.

Again, he looked around. There was no clear sign of danger. He didn’t know why he felt awfully uneasy as he leaned against the dark hood of his car, but he decided to stay on guard. Again, his thoughts led him to Ivan. His friend was never one to be taken lightly – there was a reason why Ivan was considered a dangerous man. But then again, they were both dangerous men.

When the front door finally opened, his lips automatically curved into a smile. A brunette slowly made her way to him, tripping a little over the loose laces of her running shoes.

Abcidee Reeds was a young woman with a petite frame, porcelain doll-like delicate, with bright green eyes and an equally bright smile. And she was perfect. Arashi could never have seen a woman more beautiful to him than her.

His arms automatically wrapped themselves around her waist. He placed a soft kiss on top her head. “You’re such a klutz.”

“Good morning to you to,” she scowled.  

He rolled his eyes at her. Inside, he was relieved. She appeared normal and not bothered by Ivan’s interruption to their first real date. Maybe Ivan told her nothing... nothing of consequence. Maybe Ivan just really wanted to see her. Or maybe, just maybe…

 She quickly smoothened the lines on his forehead as soon as she pulled away.

“You don’t look so good. Did something happen?”

His flat black eyes met her green ones, and they softened as he took in her frown. She stared at him with so much worry that he berated himself for making her upset.

“I thought I always looked good,” he said playfully, his expression something he had been practicing in front of the mirror for the past couple of years.