8: Unforeseen proposal.

Love is the extremely difficult realization that something other than oneself is real.

Iris Murdoch, Existentialists and Mystics: Writings on Philosophy and Literature

(PRESENT) TUESDAY: Library

The library is silent and Anne is sitting alone engrossed in her work— reading passages and writing important points in her notebook. The chair in front of her is pulled back and someone sits down quietly. She notices the movement but still doesn't pay any attention to it.

After quite a while of studying, she feels tired and taking off her glasses, she rubs her eyes. Straightening her back, she yawns placing the back of her palm in front of her mouth. Her eyes land on the person sitting in front of her and she blinks.

Once...

Twice...

Thrice...

"Hello, Anne," Jake says in his deep voice with a lopsided smirk on his lips. Hearing her name, she feels a tingle on her mark and quickly regains her composure.

Feeling a bit flustered, she replies with a smile, "Hello... Jake." He stares at Anne with a soft gaze which makes her feel shy.

Trying to break the silence, she asks, "So, Jake, where are you from?"

"Shamshire."

She nods and then asks again, "Why did you change your college?"

"I came here to help my uncle," Jake replies vaguely and Anne simply smiles.

Choosing not to pry further, she decides to change the topic and looking at the book in his hands, she asks, “What are you reading?"

Putting the book down, Jake pushes it in her direction. He shows her a picture and asks, "Do you know what this is?"

 He shows her a picture and asks, "Do you know what this is?"

Leaning forward, Anne looks at the picture with curiosity. Making a guess, she says, "A flower?" Jake shakes his head.

"Some type of animal?" She says, furrowing her eyebrows.