7: 'Striking Silver.'

You are at once both the quiet and the confusion of my heart.

Franz Kafka

(PRESENT) MONDAY

(PRESENT) MONDAY

Rubbing her eyes, Anne wakes up feeling groggy from the dream. 'Oh...So, Jacob and Sarah were childhood friends,' she thinks in her hazy mind.

'And Sarah was a witch... That's a new development. Anne, you should write a novel of your own.' She lets out a snort and peeking one eye open, she looks at the clock, which reads 7:00 am.

"Holy cow! I am going to be late!" Anne shrieks, pulling on her tangled hair.

•••

Huffing and puffing, Anne is dashing through the corridors. Her pony-tailed hair is in a mess from all the running and her glasses are dangerously low on her nose, ready to dive down at any moment.

"Woah, Woah. Hold on, Anne, where is the fire?" Patty asks, stopping Anne in her tracks.

"I, I, I...woke up...late," she says panting. "...thought...I was...going to be...late."

"Anne, even if you miss a single class for the very first time in your life, the world is not going to end. You know that, right?" Patty says, trying to hold back her smile.

Pushing her glasses up, Anne gives her a dirty look. Shaking her head with a smile, Patty says, "Just look at yourself, it's good that you are cute and can easily pull off this homeless-hobo look." At this, Anne glares at her.

"Now you are looking like an angry kitten," Patty laughs and pulls Anne's hair-tie, releasing her long dark hair.

Patting down a bit, she says, "All good now. You know, you should keep your hair down more often."

Anne huffs and says, "They get in my way."

"Then cut it short," Patty suggests.

"No! I love my long hair," Anne protests clutching her head with both hands and once again glaring at Patty.