chapter one

"i'm alone cuz this house
don't feel like home
if you love me don't let go"

kandilyn's pov -

"bloody hell..." i murmur, rubbing my temple.

i woke up with the worst headache. i'm guessing from lack of sleep and not taking care of myself very well. but after garroth and vylad's death, how could i?

they were all i thought about. vylad and i were one and garroth was my big brother. i loved them both deeply and now they're gone.

the hallways felt so lifeless now that they're no longer here, the only thing left of them is the pictures hanging. garte demanded all of their stuff be put into a box for safe keeping.

why that was, i don't know.

i don't pose a second thought to what garte does as far as that goes. hell, no one does. they can't. he's in charge of the biggest village in the region and has half of ru'an under his control.

you'd be a fool or have a death wish to question his decisions.

i finally get to the dining room, sitting down on the fancy chairs. garte spared no expense for this house. it wasn't like it dented his pockets, either. money was purely an object for him. never something he worried about.

someone brings out our food and it's placed in front of each of us. as always, it's vegetables and steak. it was delicious each time, just having it every night grew tiring.

normally, mom cooked. but with the death of her sons she couldn't bring herself to do the things she used to find so much joy doing.

garte hired an amazing chef and the food was always wonderful. just repetitive, considering he was in charge of the menu.

"kandilyn," garte begins, and i look up at him with curious eyes. "has anyone informed you about tomorrow?" he asks. he looked just like garroth, only older. some days it pained me to look at him ; considering all i could see was my deceased older brother.

"no, what's going on tomorrow?" i ask, setting my fork down. it was unladylike to eat and speak. and nasty, in all honesty. no one told me anything about tomorrow.

garte glances at zane, then back at me, "you'll be meeting the future lord of falcon claw like we discussed," he reminds.

right, the lord of falcon claw. after garroth's passing, the throne now falls into the hands of zane. something i prefer not to imagine, considering his horrendous ways. but falcon claw was not fond of zane, for obvious reasons, but they were a larger village that couldn't be as easily persuaded by threats.

the current lord and garte managed to come to a deal. a marriage to seal what they both needed. o'khasis seeked falcon claw as an alliance and falcon claw seeked the resources and connection that came with being affiliated with o'khasis.

and, the lord needed his son to break things off with the woman he was indulging in. of course, that wasn't something he had spoken of when they discussed it. word traveled fast.

"so i should wear something nice?" i ask, emotion lacking in my voice. i wasn't necessarily jumping for joy to be married off as a business deal.

zane snickers a bit, earning a glare from garte. "yes, you should wear something nice."

-

i turn my head, the silk pillow case and my black hair blending with each other.

"we really need to stop doing this."