Chapter 14 (Just Sing)

Think twice before speaking

Mama used to tell me

Hesitation's that bitchy

it keeps you from preaching

I'm not holding back anymore

you'll get what you came for

prepare the encore

Gilbert, you inflated man whore

such an eyesore

Fess' up wise guy

don't you dare deny

you once had commoner's eyes

Now you criticize

but I am here to testify

I know what's behind your lies.

Gabriel bows and mouths the word boom. Everyone's wide-eyed and speechless while Miles starts cheering for Gabriel. Everyone turns to look at Gilbert. Gilbert wears a blank expression for a few seconds and suddenly starts laughing. Why is he laughing? Gilbert clears his throat and brings the microphone up to his lips.

Do you think you've made me worry?

HA! too weak ass-hole

All your spitting makes me hack.

Listen to my wisdom that you lack.

Was that your dis? or just an act?

Hey buddy, here's a tic tac

Get rid of the B.S. in your mouth

Listen to me shout

Your luck just went south

Now you're the one who's gonna be sorry

You should've listened to mommy

You need to learn when to shut up

and when to speak

The music fades to an end, and Gilbert smirks at Gabriel. Gabriel rolls his eyes and chuckles. They both walk up to each other and shook hands. "No hard feelings?" Gabriel asked. "We're good," Gilbert replied. God damn. They weren't joking when they said they could rap. I could never do anything like that. Never in a million years.

Clap.

Clap.

Clap.

The class turns to see Mr.Stephen slowly clapping his hands. "Well, that was cute." Mr.Stephen chuckled. "Excuse me?" Gabriel exclaimed. "Absolutely adorable. It was like watching two leprechauns fighting over a measly clover." Mr. Stephen said laughing. "What are you implying?" Gilbert asks. "I'm implying exactly what you all are interpreting. You're weak." Gabriel flinches back in shock. "W-what? You're joking right?" Gabriel stammers. "Does it look like I'm joking?" Mr.Stephen says glaring at both of the kids. Gilbert gulps and takes a step back. "I'm sure it wouldn't matter if I had chosen Hugo, Nancy, Peter, Felix, or anybody in this room." He says as he walks towards the front of the classroom. "You're all weak." He scoffed. "All of you doubt yourselves, I'm pretty sure you three in the front lack any sort of self-confidence. Correct me if I am mistaken." Mr.Stephen looks right at Leo, Hugo, and me. The three of us look at each other and then hang our heads down in shame. He can see through us like a piece of glass. "Just as I thought. Like I said before, if you doubt yourselves, you won't get anywhere. I know you have the potential. Choose to believe me or not, but I see stars in the making. I will be hard on all of you. I'm going to make sure you all feel the tension. I'm going to make sure you feel the pressure. I'm going to make sure that not one of you fails me. I will get all of you to the top. Mark my words, the winners of this year's competition are here in this very classroom." The whole class shivered in fear. I thought this was going to be easy. I thought everyone was just over exaggerating. I thought that there wasn't going to be much competition. But they weren't lying. This-All of this is really happening. Did I just make the worst mistake of my life? What the hell did I sign up for?