Chapter Thirteen (Music)

"Y-you're kidding, right?" Hugo exclaims. "Were you even at orientation? Did you see the talent that Trinity had? Do you think you could top that?" Leo yelled. "I doubt that I could top Trinity, but I have to try," I say. "That money could help my family. My mom won't have to work as hard and Terri wouldn't have to worry about her grades all the time. She could take it easy now and then. I have to do this." I look up and Hugo and Leo look at each other doubtfully. "Do you even play an instrument?" Hugo asks. "Can you sing or dance?" Leo asks as well. "I've never tried to seriously sing nor dance. I've never had a reason to do so. I was always taking care of my sister while my mom was at work, and as far as playing an instrument goes, I do happen to play the guitar, but I doubt that would be enough." I sigh. "I just wanted to do something for my family. My mom has always been there for me when I needed her and believe it or not my sister has as well. I feel guilty for not being the big brother that Teressa deserves and for not being the son my mom deserves either. I have to do this. I have to at least try." Leo and Hugo sat there silently for a moment. "I...I'll help you," Hugo spoke up. "Wait seriously! You're actually gonna do this?" Leo exclaimed. "I mean, it's not like trying is gonna hurt anyone. I'm not much of a dancer and I can't play an instrument...but." Hugo began. "No way! You can sing?!" Leo gasped. "I don't want to sound cocky, but my siblings love it when I sing to them. I never sang in front of an audience but, What the hell. Why not go for it? and it's for a good cause. Helping a friend is a noble deed isn't it." Hugo finished. A...friend. "Aw man, now you're making me feel guilty... I was in a choir at church when I was in middle school. They needed someone who could hit the high notes, and apparently, I could do it. I'd be happy to help Felix," Leo says smiling.

(P.O.V. Leo)

I don't know why it happened, nor how it happened. All I know is that it did happen. I grew up at an orphanage in Utah. That's right, I have no family. Some say my parents died in a fire. Others said that I was left on the doorstep with a note saying that my parents couldn't take care of me anymore. I didn't know who nor what to believe anymore, so I ignored it and moved on. I left it behind me. Why worry about something that I don't even remember. I decided to focus on the present and the future. There was nothing left for me in the past, so why even bother...

(P.O.V Leo: Three years ago)

"Leoooooo!" Liliana came running to my bed. "Shh! Keep your voice down! You'll wake everyone else up!" I scolded her. "I told her to be quiet but she wouldn't listen to me," Stephany complained. Liliana and Stephany arrived at the orphanage not too long ago. Stephany was eight and her sister Liliana was six. I must've been around twelve at the time. Their dad was a drunk mess and their mother died of cancer when they were small. Child Protective Services brought them here when they found out how terrible their dad was treating them. I welcomed them and listened to all their problems and I was there for them when they needed to cry. I've always had that special gift. People always found comfort in me. "What is it now? What do you need." I whispered to them. Liliana and Stephany looked at each other slyly and then looked at me. "NO! That was a one-time thing! You know we aren't allowed to go to the kitchen at night!" I yelled. "But we didn't eat well today!" Liliana complained. "Please big brother pleaseeee!" At the orphanage, we all considered ourselves brothers and sisters. "No, not the puppy eyes!" I said covering my face. Stephany and Liliana pouted and pretended to beg like dogs. "Fine... but be quiet okay." Liliana and Stephany nodded happily and we made our way out of the boy's room and down the stairs into the kitchen. "One snack only, okay," I told them. Liliana and Stephany nodded and they ran to the fridge to find something to eat. I sat down at the table and waited for them to finish eating. "Look, Lilly!" Stephany shouted. "Wow! There's a full moon out tonight! Come look, big brother!" Liliana grabbed me by the sleeve and took me to the window by the kitchen counters. "It sure is beautiful isn't it," I said. Liliana and Stephany chewed on their pears and started to dance around the kitchen. I couldn't help but laugh. Although I never had a biological family of my own. I was never alone. I had brothers and sisters and they were like family to me.