The only balance that's actually working

Start from the beginning

"While that may be so, surrounded by all this foliage and away from everyone... A woman like me wonders, sometimes. My soul does certainly feel old with everything that has happened."

Everything. Such a simple, straightforward word that could be interpreted in a million different ways. What she was referring to by using such term escaped even the Goddess herself It could be anything, from her own self imposed banishment after the falling out with Asgore, to the Entropy event caused by her own adopted child that managed to almost kill her for good, to any of the Multiverse's wars that managed to reach her ears. The wounded casualties, those that were never spared a second glance by either side, coming to Toriel – Life -- for healing, desperate to reach her.

Not all of them did, and that weighted heavy on her soul, as she felt trapped. The trees that thrived under her touch, that usually brought her comfort, felt like a prison. The branches snagging her dress, the flowers growing vines to stop her steps, the earth sinking beneath to stop her advance.

Reapertale itself didn't allow her to leave, it seemed. And she despaired.

Neither knew how to continue the conversation after that, the air heavy and still around them. So, instead of talking, they just stood next to each other in amiable silence. It was comforting, and soon Toriel found herself following her usual routine of gathering herbs and flowers to blend some tea, directing Reaper towards the table she had set up so long ago for the two of them. Everything made of stone as opposed to her preferred wood of course, exactly in the middle of her garden with a nice shade casted by an old weeping willow.

Maybe it was the habit of a long time passed, when Reaper came to visit her with questions about the world and the creatures in it. Maybe the remembrance of those times the two just talked and shared little stories to help each other out, a support system of sorts. Maybe it was because of that time Toriel had been brought back to live by the very same skeleton that accompanied her and all the heartache that the events back then caused her.

No matter the reason, she startled herself at noticing the blend she had gotten ready was the favored and famous golden flower tea.

With a small smile, she served the two porcelain cups and sat down in front of her friend, handing the sugar in case Reaper wanted it. He hardly ever did, used to the bitter taste of coffee, but it was habit by now, too.

The two sipped the tea in silence, the humming of birds in the background. Reaper sighed and sagged, his feet finally touching the ground again as he let go of his levitation magic. Ironically, instead of appearing relaxed, Toriel thought her friend looked tired, weary. As if the weight of the world had suddenly become too much for his old, black hole of a soul.

"These past centuries have been especially hard."

"That they have been indeed, Sans."

"Heh, it's okay, Tori" said Reaper, smiling ruefully. "But wow. Besides you, I think only my bro calls me Sans. It sounds so weird after..."

"After Geno?" asked Toriel, smiling softly. "Would you prefer being addressed as Reaper by me too?"

Reaper shook his head in negative, an amused yet undeniably sad glint in his black eye-sockets. "Nah, it's a nice change of pace, you know? It feels good to just forget about everything for a moment and let go" he tenderly lifted the porcelain cup and drank, humming in appreciation for the taste. "Thanks though."

"That it is indeed, you need to relax more. I know your work load never diminishes, but you can rely on your brother to get the rest you need."

And even though she suggested it, she knew that wouldn't happen. No matter the extenuating circumstance, Reaper always did his part of the job so his little brother didn't have to deal with the cruel and violent deaths. Most people thought this made Reaper a difficult person to be with. Toriel just found it cute. It showed how much Reaper cared.