Chapter 20

At full speed I sprint to my room in my wolf form and throw myself at the closed door, ripping it from its hinges and sending it crashing across the room into a mirror that shatters in a glittering explosion. Shifting back I pull on a dress I had discarded a couple of days ago and never picked up and snatch my phone of the bed. By the time I get back to Mandy I have already dialled Elizabeth’s number.

“Scarlett…” I interrupt the pleasantries.

“You need to get to the city now.” I demand down the line.

“What’s happened?” I can hear a chair scrape across the floor down the line and a door slam. “Scarlett...”

“It’s Mandy, she’s been beaten to a pulp. You need to get here.” A knot forms in my throat and a sob escapes; it’s always the same with me as soon as the adrenaline dies I crumble.

“I’m already leaving the house. Take a breath.” I do as I am told. “Where are your team?”

“I… I don’t know… unconscious.”

“Is she breathing?”

“Yes.”

“Good. Just keep watch over her, I’ll be there soon.” After giving Elizabeth the address I discard my phone and grab a pillow to place under Mandy’s head. In the kitchen I grab a bowl and cloth and fill it with warm water. Back at Mandy’s side I dab her skin lightly cleaning her wounds. I have no idea what to do in this situation, you’d think I’d have some first aid training but I don’t. I just can’t stand to see her this way and at least I can clean away some of the problem, maybe it only looks worse than it is because of all the blood?

I don’t want to go down this particular chain of thought but as I methodically work on Mandy I get flashes of Nicki, every time I push them down they just come straight back, and my tears start to fall mingling with the water from the cloth and Mandy’s blood. How many more of my friends will go through this? How many more familiar faces will enter my nightmares?

Adam is the first one back through the elevator and I can’t say that I didn’t flinch when the doors opened to let him in. I am still just sat on the floor beside Mandy, who is still yet to wake up, curled up into myself with tears streaming down my cheeks and my nose blocked and snotty.  Rogue, runaway, suicide.

“Are you okay?” He strides towards me and pulls me to him, my tears (and nose) leaking onto his top.

“I’m fine.” I hiccup trying to get a hold of myself, I had my private time to cry now I need to be strong again. Rogue, runaway, suicide.

“Good, but I may have to kill you my damn self.” He growls shaking my shoulders in a firm iron grip.

“Did you find everyone?”

“Yes.” He sighs. “Those men didn’t lie, they were exactly where he said they would be, in the basement… stuffed into the trunks of their own car boots. I’ve moved them, Emilie was the first to come around and she’s looking after the rest.” Well that’s at least some good news. “I tried to call Liam but I couldn’t get through.”

“He turns his phone off during meetings.” I say miserably.

“I spoke to Alpha Miller he’s coming and Harry is on his way too.”

“Does he know about Mandy?” I look at her small beaten frame but have to quickly look away again.

“Yes.” His mouth is a straight line. “That wasn’t a conversation I would want to have twice and I am in deep shit for leaving you.”

“You didn’t have a choice.” I wave away his worry. “I’ll talk to them.” I say absently turning to the elevator that is on its way up once more.