Chapter 27

“Scarlett, Scarlett please… wait.” I had started walking across the grass but in my haze of red rage it hadn’t worked out to well. I hadn’t really thought it through and in my heels I hadn’t made it very far, stumbling and sinking with every step. I turn on my pursuer hand raised and the crack of skin on skin echoes around the garden followed by a startled yelp.

Nina loses her feet, the force of my slap sending her sprawling to the floor. She cradles her face but we are out of reach of the house lights so I can’t see any damage I may have inflicted, however, my palm stings so that may be some indication. Once upon a time I chastised Liam for harming a human because he kissed me but I feel damn good now there isn’t even slightest bit of regret bubbling inside of me, hypocritical but true.  

“I guess I deserved that.” She mumbles pushing herself back onto her feet. The silk of her dress will be ruined with splotches of much and damp patches from the grass but I don’t feel guilty about that either. Liam is a step behind us, he moves around like he wants to help her up but stops unsure of himself.

“You think that is all you deserve? If you could see what is going through my head you’d see that that is the tamest thing I can think off and that you are one lucky bitch.” Breathe. “We opened up our lives to you, we let you stay in our house, we did everything we could to make you feel at home and welcome and how do you repay us? You make a move on Liam, my Liam, and you think some insincere fake ass apology is going to make up for that?” I regain my control over my emotions before I start to rant. “Go back to your family Nina, go find your parents and all of you get the fuck out of our territory and don’t even think about returning.”

“I don’t think you can make that call.” She says quietly whilst staring me down.

“I think I just did.” My voice is low, menacing but above all it carries an Alpha’s command. I will not shout, I will not sound like a crazy jealous idiot, I will be in control. “If you go now you can leave and no one will hear of any of this. If you don’t then I’ll go in there and my whole pack will know what you did before the night is out. You won’t just be asked to leave but will be forcibly removed.” I get a rush of pleasure seeing shock and a little bit of fright in her eyes. I watch her struggle to come up with something to say.

“You know you drove him to this right? He kissed me and it was your fault.”  I think her words hurt more than the slap as they sink in, all my insecurities about us backing it up, but I guess that was the point.

“Leave Nina.” I growl… like actually growl. “Before I shift and tear you into pieces... Just go.” She turns to Liam who is still stood frozen a few steps behind us.

“Liam?” Her plea causes another growl to escape from my throat.

“You heard her.” He looks at the ground.

“You’re a coward Liam Miller. She spits, venom dripping from he mouth. “You wanted me, I could feel it.” His eyes capture mine and hold my gaze, I can’t look away, however, the whole time his words are directed at Nina.

“I was drawn to you, it was all physical, maybe it was pent up need for Scar, maybe it was the mark, but the only connection between us was created by what you showed me and my need for revenge. Scar, I love you.”

“I find that a little hard to believe right now.” I’m aware that we still have an audience I turn to her. “Why are you still here? Go.” Glaring daggers she finally saunters away with her head held high. I watch her go and continue to watch her receding silhouette until she disappears back through the brightly lit ballroom door. I just hope for her sake that she takes my advice and leaves, if I ever see her face again it will be too soon. Finally I turn back to Liam.