Chapter 33

The sight of our apartment is a welcome one. Just to be away from everyone else is welcome. We should have probably stayed longer down in the madness, but in the end I just had to get away from that room full of people and the lingering coppery smell of blood... lots of blood.

Brent doesn't shift back immediately, instead he lies down on the floor and Elizabeth places Penny in a reclining position on his side, where he curls around her, protectively growling under his breath. The transformation from head crusher to lap dog is impressive and also terrifying, Brent is a force to be reckoned with and all of this just proves the extent to which mates care for each other. Something I will soon be facing. All around the pair the clean-up has begun, although, I am pretty sure that the carpet is a write off and just needs pulling up. When Penny wakes up she is wrapped in the fur of her mate and apart from bruising and a sore throat is healthy. Elizabeth tells her she is not to talk for a while in order to rest her battered muscles, a hardship for Penny, but is happy with the condition of everyone present, including Adam.

I help him up of the ground when he finally wakes and he wraps his arms around me, I glance at Liam who is looking straight at us and I see a flicker in his eyes, I stiffen in Adam's arms but after a second Liam just nods his head at us before turning back to his father, once again in human form, I breathe a sigh of relief. "What happened?"

"The good guys won." I say in attempt to be funny.

"Are you okay?" Trust Adam to worry more about others than his own health.

"I'm fine." He holds me at arm's length.

"Something's different." He states looking me over.

"I'm covered in blood." I shrug.

"Scarlett." His mild chastise makes me smile.

"Liam and I completed the bond."

"Took you long enough." He pulls me into him for a hug and winces with the action.

"Go get some rest." I say gently pushing his shoulders.

"Good idea." He lets me go and turns away but turns back before he even takes a step. "Scar, I just want to say I am sorry."

"For what Adam?"

"For letting you go alone. I should have followed you after you bolted on the night of the party. You were emotional, vulnerable and not thinking straight but I let you run into the woods on your own and then all of this happened. I'm sorry."

"It's not your fault Adam, but thank you for caring so much that you thought it was anyway." I stretch up and kiss his cheek. "You're a true friend. Now go rest."

The afternoon becomes dull, as soon as the bodies are removed from the room the buzz dies down and my own body begins to crash as the adrenalin flows out. However, when Harry comes crashing back through the door his hands clasping at his side, the drama picks up again and I regret feeling bored a moment before.

Nick had gotten away but not before taking a chunk of Harry with him. Luckily we have Elizabeth.

"What are you thinking about?" Shaking my head I turn to face to Liam who is still leaning against the door frame. I take him in, really take him in, rumpled, covered in blood, bruised but beautiful. His golden hair is stuck up and tinged red with blood in some places. His face still looks tired but his eyes are alive, bright and buzzing with... something.

"Just about Penny. There was moment where I thought... I thought we might lose her." Seeing her hoisted into the air by a guy set on murder and revenge had my gut wrenching.