Chapter 32

By the time Liam and Gap tooth hit the floor half of the room are wolves. Peters erupts into an imaginative and impressive inventory of swears whilst his men surround him. Or what is left of them.

Gap tooth is dead, which was obvious as soon as the blood splatter hit the snow white ceiling. Oblivious to the scene around him Liam looks up from his kill, his human green eyes flick around the room but the shock has us all paralyzed. The smell of blood is thick in the air and I get the overwhelming need to open a window and let the winter breeze cleanse the area. To add to the horror scene before me there is a dripping sound, gravity pulling crimson drops back down from above to pool on the cream carpet. It is literally raining blood. The last time I saw this much blood was when...

"Liam." I whisper, not being able to say or do anything else. His ears prick at my voice and his gaze locks on to me. He takes a step forward which triggers something inside me and forces me to take a step back. His usual golden fur is dripping red around his face and down his front, causing his long white teeth to shine against the dark background of his muzzle and a trail to form on the carpet. He whines at my retreat and takes another step and my body once again forces me backwards. 

It isn't what was done here that has me scared, maybe I have become heartless but I don't think that loosing Gap tooth is much of a loss, it is Liam's eyes, cool, clam, human not the beast I had expected. He turns to his father and stands at his side whilst simultaneously blocking his mother from the Peters' pack members. Nick sidling up beside me, a hand capturing my wrist and the accompanying tingle of my skin, pulls me back to real life and back into apparent madness. Shouting, growling and the snapping of teeth coming from both humans and wolves alike filters in.

"Murder!"

"Provoked."

"War."

"Scarlett." All words thrown around none of which I can hold on to and follow a sentence to the end. Both sides look on the verge of surging forward and colliding together, ending this whole thing by force, however no one makes even the smallest of movements and Gap Tooth's body becomes no man's land, separating the two sides.

"I don't think that was entirely necessary." Peters' finally comments from behind his guards, his head poking between two broad shoulders. As always he appears calm and unflappable however in his eyes you can see that he has been unnerved; this did not feature in his plan. I look down to Liam and he is already in mid change as his fur contracts back into his skin. 

Drawn in by the drama the doors to the corridor open and Adam rushes in, followed by two more members of pack security and a red blur that can only be Elizabeth; she found reinforcements. Adam stops midstride as he takes in the grisly scene but even after witnessing that his face lights up when he sees me and Gap Tooth seems almost forgotten. It takes him mere seconds to be back in work mode and by my side placing himself between me and pretty much everyone else.

Liam pops up in my peripheral vision human again. He pulls on a shirt but I can still see sections of dyed red skin. Elizabeth had made a beeline for him as soon as she had seen him and I watch as something happens between them. Then she retreats and stands to one side to watch the proceedings.

I look to Peters but he is staring, glaring is a better term for it, at me. I can practically see the regret in his eyes as wishes he had just stuck to the original plan, how much easier his life would be now if he had just killed me when he had the chance. As if he can read me mind Peters starts to talk. "My original plan was to kill Scarlett and move on, you wouldn't have even known it was at my hand. It was such a perfect plan." He sighs wistfully. "Was this not kinder? You can sleep easy in the knowledge that your precious Scar is alive, well and... happy."