Chapter 9

Blood. Blood everywhere. In my hair, under my nails, in my eyes and in my mouth, I can practically taste it as I try to shout out but it clogs my throat and no noise breaks through. We need help! Nickie looks up at me through glazed black eyes, her face pale from blood loss, her hair deflated from her signature spikes, a crimson gash across her throat.

Bolting up right I plunge back into wakefulness and fight to control my breathing the room is dark and I fumble for my dresser draw but it isn’t there. “Scar what’s wrong!” Liam’s sudden appearance out of the dark is nearly enough to send me sprawling onto the floor. He holds himself up by his elbows the duvet around his waist having being pulled away by me. I can’t form words but I wipe at my hands, I need to get the blood off. “Scarlett, what is it?”

“I… the blood…” My hand goes to my own throat seeing Nickie’s so clearly, but it comes away clean. I know this is silly, it was just a dream. I never saw Nickie’s body, the last I saw of her was the dark fur of her wolf, only the dream had been so vivid. I concentrate on my breathing, control that and I can control my heart rate. Wistfully I think of the near empty pill bottle next to my own bed.

Liam and I had stayed in his room all day yesterday just talking about nothing, all of our problems are still stood between us but yesterday just wasn’t the day for it. We’d eaten pizza propped up on pillows and he’d even moved the large lounge TV in to watch a film. It had been the time I had wanted to spend with him since moving in. But I had fallen asleep here and I could beat myself up for that. “What blood?” He’ll think I’m crazy.

“Just a dream.” I whisper whilst flopping back down against the pillow, the mattress shifting under me to adjust to my weight.

“Scarlett…” His tone is worried but I have nothing else to say.

“A nightmare.” Maybe that will be enough. It is, he lies back down but pulls me to him and I place my head on his chest to listen to his heartbeat, willing mine to match the steady rhythm and it works, there is something about being in close proximity to this boy that does wonders for me. I don’t sleep again, but Liam does and his gentle snores, more like heavy breathing, is actually quite relaxing and becomes the backing sound to my thoughts until the sun comes up.

“No.” Rolling my eyes I can’t stop the groan that escapes.

“Liam! Come on, don’t be ridiculous. Besides I wasn’t asking I was just informing you.”

“You are not going to a human shopping mall without your security team Scarlett.” Well I can’t go with them.

“I’ll be with Gray the whole time.” I pour milk over my cereal but continue my death stare at Liam.

“What did I just say?”

“Liam, you aren’t my father… you know that right?”

“God I hope I’m not, otherwise this…” He picks me up, sits me on the counter and then kisses his way up my neck. “would be weird.” I push him away and pick up my bowl.

“Do you know how weird it will look walking around shops with an entourage? It’ll draw more attention then I’d ever get if I walked through their naked.”

“Well when you do that let me know, but until then you need to take them with you.” He sits on the counter opposite mine. We have a perfectly functioning table with chairs but this works just as well. “If I have to take mine you have to take yours.”

“You just take Harry!” I complain. “I’ll just take Abi.”

“No.”

“Liam! You’re being unreasonable and bloody stubborn. I am not a child, Gray is not a child. Do you even remember who my dad is! I floored you once or have you forgotten that.” I certainly haven’t, that is what you get for sneaking up on me.