𝐁𝐮𝐭 𝐋𝐢𝐟𝐞 𝐂𝐨𝐧𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐮𝐞𝐬

Start from the beginning

Today is the first time she's gone outside since that night. It took at lot of convincing from Bella and Charlie. She lifts her head up, her vital organs - heart, lungs, stomach, brain - feeling as if they're desiccating, shrinking to nothing as she watches her friend who she hasn't seen in months, Jacob Black, come out of his house. As Bella begins to park her truck, she turns her head to her, looking nervous.

"Do we have to," she asks lowly, frowning.

Bella looks at her. "Yeah," she answers shortly.

Harley sinks in her seat, drowning in regret as Bella rolls up the windows.

"Bella," someone yells happily from outside the car, and she looks up to find Jacob grinning widely.

She watches quietly from inside the truck as Bella squeals with happiness and jumps into Jacob's arms. They share a loving welcoming, seemingly happy with each other. Harley releases a deep sigh and presses the side of her head against her window. She has no idea how long she stays that way, but finally she unbuckles her seatbelt and exits the car.

Immediately, all eyes are on her. She gets the impression Bella has already told him about her depressive episode. Jacob takes a step forward and wraps her into a tight hug, one which she gladly returns.

"'Bout time you came by," he whispers.

"I know, right," she responds with a slight chuckle. He's so warm, she thinks.

"We brought you something," Bella says behind them with a soft smile, and they pull away from the hug.

They turn to her and watch as the brown-haired girl pulls the tarp back to reveal two dilapidated, rusting motorcycles Harley and her stole from the neighbor's garbage bin.

"Scrap metal," Jacob says sarcastically. "You shouldn't have."

"We rescued them from the dump. They'd cost more than they're worth to fix... unless one had a mechanic-type boyfriend," she suggests with a smirk, walking towards him and snaking an arm around his shoulders.

Jacob smiles down at her. "Me, being the mechanic-type boyfriend?"

She shrugs, laughing.

He raises an eyebrow at her response. "Since when are you into motorcycles, anyway?"

"Recently. Thought it'd be nice to have another thing in common."

Harley watches in silence, awkward around their affection.

Jacob playfully hisses as he studies the two worn down bikes, "The parts alone will be pricey."

"Oh, that's okay. I have a college fund I can dig into," Bella responds, really wanting to fix the bikes so she can ride with him one day. She doesn't notice Harley beside her, who rolls her eyes with a sigh and leans back against her truck.

Harleen digs out her phone out of her pocket and taps the green messaging app. Immediately, Edward's nickname 'Puddin'' pops up on top.

Missin' you ovr here, Pud'.

- Harley Quinn

There's a heavy tug on the corners of her lips as her blue eyes blanket over the log of unread messages. Edward has blocked all of her calls and text messages. He won't answer any of her emails or the countless letters she's written to him daily in desperation. She's sure that one day he will pick up the phone, or at least message her a quick: "I'm okay."