Chapter 6 - Past comes out.

Jake looked at Hailey. Her eyes looked confused as they met his. She looked at them for longer than usual. They didn't seem like they usually did. Instead of the cocky, light chocolate brown eyes they seemed sad and darker, maybe it was the lighting that darkened them. He sighed and asked her, "You wrote all these insults down?". She realised what page he was on in her notebook. "Oh! Urm- You saw those? Well my first idea was that we were singing about the fact the club doesn't care about insults and those were going to be examples of the things people say but I decided that was too personal for the competition so I changed it all  up!" she explained, smiling. Jake laughed and looked down. Hailey sat on the bean bag next to him. "What's wrong?" she asked, her face looking concerned. Jake started at her, they made eye contact. Her piercing obsidian eyes met his brown ones. "I don't really want to say.." he replied. She grabbed his hand, he felt an electric charge through his veins. "Please?" she urged. "Fine." he replied. It all came out.

How he was cast away from any form of music by his parents, how when he did sing he loved it so much until that one life-changing talent show where his teacher praised him but his peers tormented him. He gave up singing, put it all behind him and pretended people who sang were 'wannabes and people who think adding pitch to words is talent' when he wanted to be the singer. He met Drew and the rest which kept his singing addiction completely locked away because he used to sing at home but they came over most days so he couldn't. Then he joined the music club and felt as free as ever until Drew came along.

After he was done, Hailey looked hurt but it wasn't because he insulted her, it was because she wished she had told him this sooner. "I'm sorry." she whispered. They were basically hugging now, Jake went to open his mouth but then Zander shouted from below "LUKE! OH MY GOD-" Hailey giggled, Jake laughed as well. Her laugh was genuine, not like Zoey's annoying little snigger and Lia's slightly evil laugh. Zander then shouted "HAILEY! GET JAKE OUT THE HOUSE! WE HAVE TO HAVE DINNER!" Jake sighed, and went to leave the attic but Hailey protested with Zander, "No! I think its best if we all talk." she shouted back. You could feel Zander's reluctant tone from a mile away when he agreed. Even though their parents weren't home, the dinner was quite good. 

Zander ignored Jake for the first 5 minutes. "Zander, Jake, I think you guys should sort things out." Hailey started. Zander scoffed and continued picking at his food. Jake has stuffing his mouth for an excuse not to talk. She sighed, shaking her head. "Jake? Mind if I tell Zander what you told me?" she continued. Jake, who's mouth was still covered in food, hesitated then nodded silently. He swallowed and got up to head to the bathroom. Hailey looked at Zander who was eying her suspiciously. "You two aren't dating are you?" he asked, looking angrily at the hallway where Jake has disappeared. "N-no! Its about Jake's past, its been keeping him back all this time." she replied, slightly blushing. Hailey soon let it all out, by the time she was three quarters through, Jake had entered the room again, greeted by Zander staring at him in a confused, angry sort of shock.

Jake just stared at them while Hailey ended the conversation. Zander didn't blink, he didn't speak, he just got up and patted Jake on the back before going upstairs. Hailey had a look on her face which was covering laughter. Jake couldn't blame her, Zander just randomly patted him on the back. Jake decided it was time he went home, he thanked Hailey for letting him stay and went home. He felt more energetic and ready. Why did he feel this way? Was Zander joking when he said Hailey had a crush on him? Or did he think Jake was someone else, or did Jake mishear him? He shook all these thoughts away and went to bed that night, heart pumping...

Authors Note:                                                                                                                                                                          SO SORRY THIS TOOK SO LONG! I'LL TRY AND GET CHAPTERS OUT SOONER! Thanks for reading! :D