{17} I BANTER WITH A SCRAWNY ELF {17}

PERCY JACKSON

This may surprise you, but as my cousin and my girlfriend's roommate began to shout at each other, I was very confused.

"Why did you - "

"Guys," I butted in

"Where have you - "

"Hey, guys - " I tried again.

"What did - "

I frowned. "Um, guys?"

"When - "

"Guys!" I finally exclaimed. Everyone, including Annabeth, looked at me. "Thank you," I breathed out. "Now, can someone explain what's going on?"

At the same time, Jason and Reyna said, "Well, it started wh - "

"One of you," I clarified loudly, causing my girlfriend to laugh.

Jason took the role. "I know Reyna from back in New York, during the short period of time I lived there before going to camp. We met at a restaurant and kept bumping into each other around the city, so we exchanged numbers and began hanging out. Then, I went off to Camp Half-Blood, and we kind of lost touch. We reunited after the session ended though, and got really close. We talked every day up until the last day of my junior year when my step-mom and dad announced we were packing up and moving to California. Within twenty-four hours, we were moved into my new house and my life was totally changed. It hurt too much to talk to old friends I would never be able to see again, so I haven't reached out to Reyna since."

I nodded slowly, the story adding up in my head. Reyna and Jason had been close friends separated over the summer. What a bummer.

Ha, that rhymed.

Annabeth spoke up. "Well, isn't it great that you two can reconnect now that you're both living here?"

"Yeah, what's up with that, Reyna?" Jason said. "You moved too?"

The brunette nodded. "I go to OAAA with Annabeth and Percy. I didn't know where you moved to California, though, so I had no idea to look for you. You live in San Francisco?"

My cousin pointed vaguely north. "Yeah, down that way about ten minutes."

I clasped my hands together. "That's great for you guys, then," I said, "right?"

Jason nodded and after a moment, Reyna joined in apprehensively.

With that, my cousin laid on the gas and the car took off. Within fifteen minutes, we pulled into the driveway of what looked to be a mansion.

I whistled. "Wow, Jase, you sure you're not dating Piper?" I asked.

Annabeth slapped my arm. "Perseus," she hissed.

"Hey," I defended, rubbing my sore arm, "I'm just saying someone should marry her into the family. This place is like, double the size of Jason's house."

Reyna rolled her chocolate brown eyes. "Fair point, Jackson, but crude execution."

My cousin, whose cheeks were about three shades redder than usual, cleared his throat. "Come on," he announced, "let's head inside."

We all climbed out of his car and walked up the smooth driveway and up to the front porch. Jason knocked on the door while the rest of us admired the beauty of the building. It was three stories tall and in a victorian style with a tall roof, dozens of rectangular windows that had rounded tops, and pillars supporting the balconies and decorative ledges.

Wow, Annabeth must be rubbing off on me.

The large wooden door swung open revealing the familiar face of Piper, Jason's good friend.