i

Now Playing... 

THE RECKLESS AND THE BRAVE (LIVE) by ALL TIME LOW

The halls were dark

The halls were dark. Nothing but a candle in the flat candlestick in your hand made the light that could lead you towards the college library. You made your way down the corridor until you finally reached your destination. With a quick glance around to make sure you weren't spotted, you pushed open the heavy wooden doors and entered the room.

It was just you in there, completely silent except for your footsteps. You knew you weren't supposed to be there and you knew the consequences if you got caught, but you didn't mind. Your paper on the great fire at the Library of Alexandria would be due in a meer four days and you wasted the week that had passed to do nothing but watch the Joestar/Brando brothers play rugby and read more interesting literature than the ones your bibliometrics professor assigned to you.

You sighed with relief that you weren't caught sneaking out of your dorm room, however, newfound fear set in that you might be found out of bed during curfew. You gently put the candle on a table, closed the doors once more, and made yourself towards the bookshelves you could see, despite the small light. 

"Let's see," you mumbled to yourself, "the Library of Alexandria... Alexandria... It must be in the 'A' section, right?"

You started mid shelf, before looking up and realizing that if you were to find a book or two with the exact knowledge you needed to write the essay, you wouldn't be able to reach it. 

"Damn," you huffed. For the split second you looked down while turning around, you noticed another flame coming from nearby. Confused, you glanced up and saw a familiar face. 

"Trying to repeat history, I see," a gruff voice said. It was Dio Brando, the adopted brother of the man you would rather die than admit to anyone you were smitten for. "Shouldn't you be more careful with flames in a library, not matter how tiny it may be?"

Dio held a book with a painting of the Library of Alexandria. You crossed your arms, scanning him up and down. "What are you doing here, Brando? Shouldn't you be back at the manor? It's 11:30." 

"And shouldn't you be in your your dorm room, (Y/N)?" he rebutted. "After all, you're the only woman here. Your dorm is special compared to the other riff-raff that attends this school." Instead of answering, you looked him dead in the eyes in complete and total silence until he tossed the book onto the table, causing a loud sound and the flame of the candle to flicker.

You looked in panic at the book, then back at him. You knew why he did it, and he knew you knew.

"Stay away from Jonathan if you know what's good for you," he said emotionlessly. "Wouldn't want to end up like Erina Pendleton, now, would you?"

"Must we speak of this now?" you questioned in a whispered.

"My two acts of generosity come at a price, (Y/N)," Dio continued, ignoring your comment. "You have quite the brain for a woman. Maybe you should use it and heed my warning about Jonathan Joestar."

"That still doesn't explain why you're even here in the first place. I--" You cut yourself off just as you heard voices from behind the library door and two lights from candles underneath. "Shit, I've got to get out of here!"

You blew out your candle, and by extension, Dio's, and quickly ducked behind the librarians' desk. When the door opened, two police officers and the librarian entered the room, their candle lights only reaching Dio's figure.

He quickly put on his charming smile. "Gentleman, hello! Did I disturb Mrs. Damyon? I sincerely apologise. You can put your batons down now, I am no robber, but instead, a meer college student who accidentally fell asleep studying for his law test tomorrow afternoon."

After much discussion, the police and the librarian relit Dio's candle and left having come to the agreement that Dio would leave as soon as he gathered his things. As soon as those doors closed, you stood up to see Dio looking at you, his smile gone, and the whole facade put away. 

"About my wit..." you said, dusting off the nightgown you wore. "My brain got me here and it will keep me here, with or without your help."

Dio put three fingers up. "Three, (Y/N). That's three acts of kindness in this night alone. You owe me, now, and you can help pay off this debt you've gathered for yourself by staying away from Jonathan. This isn't coming from a jealous heart, don't you dare ever think that, but instead, consider it your 'friend' wanting to keep his goals easy to reach. You acting on your feelings for Jonathan would do nothing but disrupt a plan I've had in motion for years." 

You said nothing. When he realized he wouldn't get a definite "yes" or "no," Dio took his now relit candle, and left the library. You watched him leave, knowing not if he would head straight back to the Joestar manor or hide out somewhere else on campus, but that was none of your concern. 

You brought the book and your candle to the librarian's desk to light the candle once more and left the library to be empty in the dark. As your legs carried you towards your dorm, you thought what Dio had said. All those acts of kindness were more of the bare minimum of niceties. 

"Sorry, Dio," you spoke to yourself, "but I'm going to tell Jonathan how I feel and I don't care if you don't like it. It may not be today or tomorrow, but there's nothing you could give me that could change my mind. "

-end of chapter one