Ch.48 Nura

Chapter 48

"Nine pounds in one week," Rye said with a deep frown.

"Fuck," both Heyder and Exton mumbled under their breath.

"Is the baby fine?" Maya tried to lift her head off the pillow.

Heyder watched her struggle as his anxiety grew in him like a raging fire.

"Yes, the baby is fine," he tried to not snap. "But you're not. Losing nine pounds in one week can't be good.....for anyone!"

"I feel fine," Maya lied.

She gave up trying to move and laid back against the pillow. Her skin was pale and lifeless. The golden shine from her hair had disappeared two days ago, which also happened to be the last time she ate anything solid. Gemma did all that she could to replenish her, but no amount of medicine or magic helped.

The only thing that seemed to help, Maya didn't want....

"Please, just let me heal you," Heyder begged as he took her hand and sat down beside her.

"You've been healing me all night," Maya frowned. "You're drained too."

"Maya, I don't give a fuck," Heyder shook his head. "I told you already. I don't need any of this if I don't have you or Heyden."

Maya opened her mouth to refuse his offer to heal her when Exton spoke up.

"Heyder," he said calmly. "Go see Gemma. You healing her 24/7 can't possibly be good for you either."

"Yeah?" Heyder looked over his shoulder. "Since when do you care about what's good for me?"

"Since you became the only thing keeping my daughter and grandson alive," Exton's eyes darkened. "Don't drain all of your energy now. Who knows how much more Heyden will need in the upcoming months."

"You know," Rye said slowly as she gathered her things. "We had all assumed Mavi was a boy when I was pregnant."

"I remember," Exton said.

"What makes you all so sure the baby is a boy?" Rye raised a brow. "It's too early to tell. Heyden can be Heather."

Heyder groaned. A small weak smile appeared on Maya's lips as she touched her belly.

"Or twins like Ada and I," she said.

"Jesus Christ, no," Heyder rolled his eyes. "Just one is killing you. I don't want two."

"He's not killing me!" Maya frowned.

"No, of course not," Heyder said. "You're the picture of health. The poster child for pregnancy."

"Has there ever been fey and jinn hybrids?" Rye asked curiously. "If there were, we can learn a lot about what to expect. Right now we're just fishing in the dark."

"If there were, I didn't know about it," Heyder said. He laced his fingers with Maya and slowly, very slowly, started to push his magic into her. He did as much as he could before she noticed.

"Is there any record of them?" Exton asked.

"There might be. In the Tyveer court."

Maya's hand tightened around Heyder. She hated the idea of him going back to the place. Especially in his condition. No one was talking about it because they were all so focused on her, but Heyder looked like shit too. His dark hair was a mess. His eyes were red and tiredness swam in them like the sea. Maya didn't know how it was possible, but his already sharp features seem to have become sharper from all the energy he was losing. His cheekbones stuck out like mountain tops and his jawline looked sharp as a dagger.