12. A Killer Among Us

Start from the beginning

I looked over at my girlfriend and said, "Arya, you've been quiet. You haven't said a word this whole time. Are you okay?"

"Just watching," Arya said softly. Her eyes pierced through mine and I felt butterflies in my stomach.

"Just watching," Emerald mocked. "There you have it, folks. It's probably Kael's girlfriend."

"So it's Arya now?" Cinder said. "Do you even hear yourself, Em? You're just randomly picking people and accusing them!"

"Because I'm terrified!" Emerald shouted. "One of us in here is helping a murderer! Of course I'm going to start accusing, because I sure as hell know it's not me. So which one of you is it? Just expose yourself already."

No one said a word. The silence was overwhelming and it scared me. Part of me wondered if I even wanted to know who the helper really was. That meant that someone close to me was evil, heartless, and maybe even soulless.

Someone I trusted.

That's when the doors opened yet again, and the masked figure walked into the room. They were holding a gun, pointed directly at Emerald. For a second, I thought they were going to shoot. Instead, they said, "Emerald. You're coming with me."

"What?" Emerald said, obviously surprised. "What are you talking about?"

"Aha! She is the helper," Colton said.

"She's not the helper, you fucking moron," the figure said. This time, their voice was no longer disguised. Their voice sounded feminine—female. She continued to point the gun at Emerald. "Get up, little girl. It's time to move."

"Why?" Emerald asked. "Why should I go with you?"

"Because if you don't, I will splatter your brains all over the wall behind you," the figure said. "Now, get up. It's time for you to meet someone. You're causing too much trouble here. You're going to ruin this surprise."

"What surprise?" I asked. This didn't sound good at all. I didn't like the idea what Emerald was being taken from the room, being brought somewhere that we couldn't keep tabs on her.

"The one you've been waiting for all night," the figure said. She stepped further into the room, holding her gun tightly, ready to blast Emerald away. "Come. Now."

Emerald tried her best to stand, but she fell back to the ground. The figure sighed. "Do I really have to do all the work around here?"

That's when I saw it. The surprise that we'd been waiting for had finally arrived. On the other side of the room, next to Emerald, a dead body started to laugh. The laughter was so strong, so evil, and my heart sank all the way into my stomach. For a moment, I could hardly believe what I was hearing—and seeing.

That's when Harlin—most definitely not dead—rose from the floor, continuing to laugh. No one in the room said a word, probably from the shock.

Harlin said, "Of course you don't have to do all the work. That's what you have me for."

"Harlin?" I said, my heart heavy. "You're the helper?"

He smirked at me. "Surprised, huh? I figured you would be. I know pretending to die was a bit dramatic, but it certainly got your attention, didn't it?" He bent over and pulled a key out of his pocket, unchaining himself. "Ah, that feels nice."

"Why?" I asked. Harlin had been one of my best friends. He fought for me, stood by me, and made me feel complete. "Why would you do this?"

Harlin shrugged. "I guess if you haven't figured it out yet, you're just not smart enough. Come on, Kael. Use your brain."