8. Suspects and Patients

"Hey Josh, wait up!"

It was Friday afternoon and I was walking to the cafeteria to get some lunch, then go sit in the library away from my group. The person calling for me was Matt, who I'd been avoiding like I would someone who has Ebola. I hadn't seen much of Eden either, because she was spending most of her time trying to get used to Peter Streit, who new roommate. 

"Josh!" Matt said again, practically chasing after me. I didn't bother looking back. When he finally caught up, he grabbed hold of my arm gently. "Hey, please talk to me."

"What's there to talk about?" I asked. I shouldn't have been angry. It was very possible he was busy the day he cancelled our date, but I was still angry.

"There's a lot to talk about," Matt said. "Obviously there is, otherwise you wouldn't be ignoring me."

I shrugged and continued to walk. "What am I supposed to say? That it's funny that you get it out of me that I'm actually gay, then ask me out, then bail only a little while later with very little explanation?"

"And I've already said I'm sorry like a billion times," Matt said. He stepped out in front of me blocking my path. He frowned at me. "Come on, Josh. I really like you. Give me another chance."

"Shhhh," I whispered. "People will hear us."

Matt crossed his arms over his chest, looking annoyed. "And I see that's still going to be a problem. Are you ever going to publicly come out?"

Was this guy for real? He couldn't seriously be asking me that. Not when I'd just come out to my best friend a while ago. "I really don't feel like talking to you right now, if that's okay." I walked off without anything else being said.

I went to go stand in line when a guy came up behind me. At first I didn't recognize who it was, but it finally registered to me that it was Peter. He was bout 5'7, with short blond hair and green eyes. He was a cute kid, for being like fourteen, and seemed nice enough. 

"Hey, have you seen Eden?" Peter asked in his pre-pubescent voice.

"I've not," I said. "I thought she was with you."

Peter shrugged. "I haven't seen her yet, but I just wanted to make sure. With everything going on...I wouldn't want anything to happen to her."

I nodded, though his words sent chills down my spine. Was it possible that Eden was in trouble? My eyes wandered around the cafeteria, trying to see if she was anywhere within distance. "Yeah, that would really suck," I said. "If you can't find her, let me know, okay?"

"Of course," Peter said smiling. 

"Hey Peter!" a voice said, but it wasn't Eden's. It was Luke, that reporter kid. He was walking around with a camera wrapped around his neck and came over to us. When he saw me, he didn't smile, but instead just nodded his head at me.

I didn't do anything back, mostly because the kid kind of irritated me. He was a bit too nosy for my taste. I turned away from them, facing the direction of the line again when I got a text. My heart nearly stopped in my chest when I saw that it was from an unknown number. I opened it up and sighed of relief when I read it.

Hello Josh,

This is an automated text message from St. Mary's Psychiatric Hospital for Teens confirming your visit at 5 PM. If you wish to reschedule, please call at your earliest convenience.

Well, that sure was fancy considering they looked like they were from the 1800s. I texted Eden, reminding her that we had the appointment later today. Her text back was almost immediate.