Chapter 18

Jasper  

After Amaya left and then went back to the palace, I went to the room where I left the prince and the princess. I wanted to stay with Amaya. I didn't want her to be in her head, mainly because tomorrow will be the day she met the pack. 

I entered the room stopping them in the middle of a conversation, they turned to look at me.

"Where is she? Is she okay?" Erica asked, stepping closer to me.
"I can't tell, she just wants to be alone," I told them "You are welcome to stay here in the palace as long as you are here" As much as I knew they could help Amaya, it was more than clear she didn't want to talk to anyone right now and I wanted her to be calm for tomorrow.

"Thank you, we appreciate that" I nodded as I left the room and told a worker to show them to a room. I needed to find some way to put my mind to rest.  
I walked to the sanctuary where the statues of our goddess stood. As a kid, it would bring me comfort to know she was not only looking out for us but had set up our lives to be just right. I sat at the foot of the statue, my back against the feet.

"Please, let me be with my mate. That's all I ever wanted, I need her" I pleaded to her hoping someone could hear me. 

***

"Jasper, where are you?" Jacob asked through our mind link. I opened my eyes to see that I had fallen asleep at the sanctuary, I took a moment to let my mind prepare for the day.

"Dude seriously get down here now," Jacob said in our mind link

"I'm coming, just give me a second" I answered in our mind link. 
I stood up, turning around to look at the statue one last time, thinking of the prayer I had made before leaving to go to my room. I had to get ready quickly, looking at when I would be late. Since my father was the alpha we had to make a big entrance at any event that we were going to. I showered and got dressed, I put on a black button-up with black slacks. I put on gold jewelry to add a little touch to my outfit, as I stood in front of my mirror rolling up my sleeves my room door opened showing my sisters. 

"You know there's something called knocking," I said, still looking down at my sleeves.

"Yes but then you would know we were here and where's the fun in that" Jessica said walking towards me while Ally sat on my bed. Jessica stood in front of me fixing my collar and smoothing out my shirt. Even though I was taller than her, even when she was in heels, she stood on her tiptoes.

"How are you feeling?" she asked
"The fact that I am having to fight to keep my mate is infuriating," I said looking her in her eyes, it was confirmed the moon goddess made her my mate. Why should I have to fight to keep her?

"If it makes you feel better I'm team Amaya, I've always hated Chloe '' Ally said sitting on my bed and making Jessica roll her eyes.

"Come on, we don't want dad to give us a speech about being on time," Jessica said, patting my chest and walking to the door. Ally got up and walked out the door behind me.

"As alpha blood, you should always be on time," Ally said, making fun of our father. Even though I don't have a relationship with Marie and my father, I pride myself on the relationship I have with my sisters.
Once we got to the bottom of the stairs I could see Marie fixing my father's suit. Something in me felt uneasy as I saw them. They turned to see us and Marie's face lit up.

"Aww look at our kids," she said sizing us up.
"Not yours" I stated under my breath, clearly everyone heard me because of the looks they gave me and how quickly Marie went silent.
"Hey cool it on mom," Jessica said in our mind link.
"She is not my mom and I am not her son" I stated, I could feel the shift in the room but it didn't phase me.
"We should get a move on it,," Ally said, breaking the silence and taking her mother's arm into hers and walking towards the door. 

The drive to the town center was short and quiet, I know I made everyone afraid to talk but knowing she sees this as her perfect family made my blood boil. This was meant to be my mother's family, not hers. 

Once we got out of the car we were greeted by the people from the town. The town was set up as a fair per my idea, as the people have fun they can meet Amaya and Chloe. There was free food, games, and rides everywhere. I looked around, I saw Chole talking with some of the older members of the pack, my eyes continued to wonder as I landed on Amaya. I saw her play games with some of the children as their parents watched her. Seeing this brought a smile to my face seeing how she was with kids made my heart jump. 

As I was about to walk over to her  I was stopped by some people that were on my pack's counselor. I stopped in my tracks trying not to let my annoyance show. 

"Jasper, Alpha this was a great idea and a huge success. And I was happy to hear that you have moved up the ceremony." John, a senior member said. I was confused because my birthday was in three weeks and the ceremony was meant to be the day after my birthday. I turned to look at my father and I could see that he was caught in a lie. 

"Yes, so are we. now, if you will excuse us" my father said signaling for me to follow him. We walked deeper into the town where there were fewer people. I stopped in an alleyway not wanting to walk any further. My father saw I stopped walking and turned to face me. 

"What the hell did he mean?" I asked.  I knew my tone was harsh but I didn't care, there had clearly been a plan going on that I had not been aware of.

"Don't use that tone with me! Remember who you are talking to" my father said coming close to me, his face was an inch away from mine.

"What is going on? Why was the ceremony moved?" I asked in a calmer tone. My mood hadn't changed but I knew if I wanted answers from my father I had to lower my voice.

"It's nothing that should concern you. I just moved it, that's all that matters" he said, backing away from me and straightening his suit walking away.

"It has everything to do with me, I'm going to be alpha, I'm going to have to run this pack and this will choose who I rule with," I said quickly walking up to him.

"Jasper stop with this. You know alphas have to make sacrifices," he said, playing with his watch not looking at me. 

"Was mom a sacrifice?" I asked knowing that it would push him overboard. He quickly grabbed me by my neck and shoved me into a brick wall that was near us. I closed my eyes to the pain of the impact, I could feel a slight shake coming from the bricks. I opened my eyes to see my father's normally brown eyes turn a deep yellow as I stood toe to toe with him. 

"I've let you get away with a lot of shit!
But what I won't let you get away with is disrespecting me or your mother," he yelled in my face. He shoved me one last time before letting go of me, I pushed myself off of the wall as my father calmed himself.  

"Now if you must know, the ceremony was moved because no matter what the pack chooses you will mate with Chole," he said in a calm voice. I couldn't help but drop my mouth and widen my eyes, my wolf spirit started to surface at the thought of mating with someone else other than our mate.

"No! You said we would let the pack pick, that means there was hope that I would get to be with my mate. Just because you fell in love with your step-in mate and forgot about your true mate doesn't mean I have to." I said walking away not wanting to continue this conversation.

"You will not tell anyone. That's an order!" he yelled as I walked away. To add salt to the wound I stuck up my middle finger as my back was to him. 

I knew that I couldn't tell anyone about this because if my father was forcing me to do the one thing I swore I'd never do there had to be a good reason. I planned to get to the bottom of the reason.