She chuckled.

"I am aren't I" she seemed to say that to herself before turning to me.

"I'm sorry. I'm Dani. I should have led with that. And yeah, I am "one of them". I'm Curtis' mate."

I remembered Curtis, he was one of the people I'd met the day before. He seemed to be really good friends with Grey.

That made me more alert "Did Grey send you?"

"What? No. I go to this church."

Now that I actually thought about it, I remembered I had seen her a few times during services.

"So... You saw?"

She frowned "Saw what?"

"Grey. Yesterday. At the party. What happened. When he became a- a-"

She laughed "When he shifted and became a werewolf?"

"Yeah that. Shifted." I tested the word.

"Yeah I was there. And I can just imagine how you feel right now. Do you want to talk? My car's here, we can go somewhere."

I looked back at the claustrophobic church with my parents in it- my parents who thought I was in the bathroom and back at her. "Sure."

~~~~~~~~~~

Not long after, we were sipping milkshakes in the diner while I told her everything that had happened between Grey and I.

She was a pretty good listener, never interrupting.

"...and then Scott took me home. But honestly, I think it'll be best for everyone if Grey and I just forgot we knew each other."

I looked at her expectantly, waiting for her to try to convince me otherwise or something.

"You're probably right" she said.

Colour me shocked "What?"

"Tamara, I'm a human, a Christian and I'm mated to a werewolf. I've been where you are."

There was that word again "Mated?"

Her eyes widened and she hastily stopped sipping from her cup. "You don't know about all that huh? Well the moon goddess ma-"

I cut her off, too much crazy in 24 hours "You know what? I don't want to know."

She shrugged and went back to her straw.

I looked at her closely. She was a Christian and she still stayed with her werewolf boyfriend. I opened my mouth to ask her about it but the bell above the door jingled as somebody walked in.

Dani immediately tensed, looking over my shoulder. I didn't have to turn to know who it was had just walked into the diner. I could find him in a pitch black house just from the way I felt when he was nearby.

"I'm so sorry, Tamara. I had no idea he would be here. Do you want to leave?"

I nodded, not being able to speak.

I got up out of the booth only for me to find him blocking my way.

I kept my eyes on the ground and whispered "Excuse me."

He didn't move. "Gracie."

My insides clenched hearing that. His voice was hoarse as if he'd been shouting for hours...or crying.

"You're in my way." I still didn't look at him.

"Gra-" his voice broke. "Gracie please. Let's just talk."

I couldn't handle this. I shoved past him, my body tingling in the places that touched him and grabbed Dani's hand.

I stopped as we walked away and finally looked at his face. I'd never seen him look so bad. His eyes were red and raw, his hair disheveled as if he'd run his hands through it over and over again. "We don't have anything to talk about, Grey."

We got in Dani's car and drove back to church, not a single word passing between us.

The service was over, and standing outside the doors of the church were my parents.

"Thank you Dani."

"Anytime babe." She smiled.

I got out of the car and walked to my parents. They looked calm, they looked calm because we were in public.

They met me halfway and my father grabbed my arm and pulled me to our truck, all the while smiling for the public. "When we get home, Tamara Grace."

It wasn't a threat, it was a promise.

Yet another new character. Is Gracie being too harsh on Grey?