14.

Gracie.

It surprised me, myself that I wasn't afraid to walk into my house in boy clothes. Even if my parents considered sweat pants and a plain t-shirt unisex, the fact that the clothes were twice my size would tip them off.

I was a tall girl, standing at a little over 5'9 but Grey was 6'6 so you could say his clothes didn't exactly fit me.

But as I stopped outside my door, whatever bravado I had been feeling as an aftereffect of spending time with Grey, disappeared.

I felt safe with Grey. When I was with him, I felt like even if pieces of the sky started falling and hitting everybody, that for some reason, because I was with Grey, I wouldn't be touched.

It was inexplicable and I tried to avoid figuring out the reason behind it. But, here, in my home with my father and his rules, I was alone. Grey could save me from the world but he couldn't save me from the man whose DNA I carry.

So, I found myself hurrying away and round the side of the house until I got to the tree outside my window. I look up.

How in the world will I climb this??

But Grey did it so it can't be that hard.
I jump but narrowly miss the first branch. I try again and this time I get it. I grab it with both hands and swing myself up.

The tree is quite sturdy so I'm not afraid of one of the branches breaking under my weight.

I get into another branch, thanking God that I was dressed like this, otherwise, I'd be flashing my entire neighbourhood.

But then if I was dressed as I usually am, I would not be climbing a tree into my room. My father's car pulls into the driveway just as I get to the branch leading to my window.

Fudge.

The branch is wide enough for me to walk but I still crawl. You know, just to be safe.

I slide my window open and hop in, trying to be as quiet as possible. I hurriedly get out of the clothes.

My original plan was to get changed and then go back down the tree and then walk in the house through the front door as if I was just getting back from school but with my father back, I dare not.

I wear a sweater and one of my shorter skirts and head downstairs. My mother looks surprised to see me.

"I didn't know you were home dear."

"I came in while you were in the kitchen earlier. I had a headache so I just went to sleep." The lie slips off my tongue so easily, it scares me.

My mother nods, believing me. "How's your head now?"

"Much better. I was just tired." I take my seat at the table. "Good evening, dad."

He grunts and we start our dinner ritual with prayer.

When I enter my room that night, I notice my window is still open and go over to close it.

Before I close it, however, I look outside and across the street, in the dark are a pair of bright yellow eyes.

Staring right at me.

I squint, trying to get a better look.

A dog? No it's much bigger than a dog.

My phone dings with a message, distracting me for a split second and when I look back, the dog-like creature is gone. A shiver runs down my spine and I slam the window shut and lock it.

Lunch, tomorrow?

The message is from Grey. Great, I'll tell him about the yellow eyes.

                  ***************

The smell of eggs and bacon and lots more greasy stuff welcomes me as I push into the diner. The place looks like it came out of an 80s black and white movie. Red booths, white aprons, pinball machines, only thing missing were long frilly skirts.

I spot Grey almost immediately in the back. Talking to a girl.

I can't see the girl's face clearly but it looks oddly familiar and she's touching Grey's shoulder and they're both laughing.

Something ugly reads it's head inside me and I start heading towards them. Grey notices me and he stands up, smiling brightly.

"Well good morning, my Gracie."

It's at this point that the girl turns around and I notice that it's the girl from the bathroom yesterday.

"Oh hi" she says brightly "Tammy right"

"Tamara" I correct tightly. She did that on purpose. I move around her to stand beside Grey.

"Right" Her laughter is tinkly "Sorry. I'm not very good with names."

I want to just reach over and pull her long blond hair that she keeps swishing around.

I've never felt this territorial before. I just want her far away from Grey.

"You two know each other?" He's surprised.

I ignore him. For some reason, I'm angry with him. Angry that he was talking and laughing with her.

"Oh yes. We ran into each other in the little ladies room yesterday. What a small world." More tinkly laughter.

Shut up! 'little ladies room'.

"Ah," Grey takes my hand "Well we should probably get going."

I see her eyes flicker down to our joined hands before her face becomes bright again. "Okay, I'll call you later, Grey."

I allow Grey to take me out of the diner to his car and get in, still without saying anything to him.

He starts the car and reverses.

I had thought we were having lunch in the diner but I don't comment on it.

"Gracie?"

"Yes?" I say after a pause. I was not going to answer him but then I realised my anger was not justified. There was nothing between us, yet I was jealous- because yes, that's all this was, pure jealousy.

"Did I do something wrong? Are you mad at me?"

I stay silent and he doesn't ask anything again.

I realise he's driving up the little cliff that overlooks the town. I'm pretty sure I'd heard nobody was allowed up here and yet here Grey was, speeding up the track like he owned the place.

When we get to the top, he puts the car in park and hurried over to open my door for me but I get out before he reaches me.

He takes my hand and leads me under  an oak tree that's right at the edge of the cliff. He spreads down a blue blanket I didn't notice he was holding and we both sit down.

A minute goes by.

Then two.

"Is it about Lily?"

"You mean your girlfriend?" I snap before I realise.

I see Grey smirk and that just annoys me more. "Lily's not my girlfriend, Gracie."

I don't show it but I'm immensely relieved. "Yeah but you like her."

"Yeah I like her." My heart sinks "But she's not you."

I stand up. "Yeah I know I don't have long blond hair or tinkly laughter. I never thought I did. Please take me home."

Even though Grey hadn't used me in anyway, in that moment I felt my parents were right. Boys were evil.

"Gracie, you're perfect. You're perfect because you were made for me."

And then I'm kissing a boy.