Chapter 8 - Where can you run to? Where can you hide?

A/n: Hi, I am so sorry for not updating for over a month. I promise, I'll try to get better about updating more frequently. I'm just starting high school, so I have a lot of work, and when I'm not doing work I'm often procrastinating, but I'll try to work on this more often. I didn't really have any ideas for the title of this chapter, so I decided to make a really bad reference to the My Chemical Romance song, "Disenchanted."

*Previously*

"Y-yeah, I'm fine," you ignored the burning pain in your leg. It felt worse than just exhaustion, almost as if someone had stabbed you with a knife or shot you with an arrow in the leg. "Th-thank you for saving my l-life." Varian gave you a small smile,

"Of course. Anything for a friend. Besides, you did the same for me." He rubbed the back of his neck.

~New chapter, finally~

Varian sat next to you, the both of you scooting backwards to be out of sight from the street. You hoped he didn't notice that you were having some trouble with using your left leg to move. When you reached the wall, you gave him a small smile, once again ignoring the stabbing feeling in your calf.

"What are we going to do now? Where can we go? We can't be seen around Corona or someone might turn us in, the Maker knows what they would do to you after you helped me escape. I can't bring you back to Glipwood, or can I? No, I can't be sure of how the Fangs would treat you. And-" You stopped when you saw Varian staring at you. "What?" you asked.

"We'll be okay. After all, we have the power of science on our side! (I have the power of God and anime on my side!) Specifically, alchemy." What is he talking about? You arched an eyebrow at him, and he seemed to understand. "Oh, I'm an alchemist. Think 'potions,' but with science." 

Your mouth formed an "O" shape, showing him you understood. Varian pulled off his backpack, which you only just realized he had, and started rifling through its contents. You saw what looked like beakers of mostly yellow, purple, and a few green liquids. Some of them were in water balloons (am I the only one who thinks of minecraft lingering potions?). You decided to focus on escaping now, and ask what all the substances were later.

You looked around for a way to escape, but saw nothing. Then you had an idea (sorry for cringe writing lol). You pulled out your shirt from when you first got to Corona (from nowhere. Idk. Maybe you have pockets. Maybe you can do magic. Be creative. Tell me what you come up with :) ) and put it on. You pulled the dark-colored hood over your head, and walked around the corner, ignoring Varian's quiet calls for you to come back, or "you're going to get caught!"

When you reached the street corner, you saw that you were in the alleyway next to the clothing store you had been in when you had first arrived in Corona. You walked in and saw the shop owner organizing some of the clothes in his store. He looked up and saw you, and stared at you for several moments, before his eyes widened.

A/n

Hey everyone, if you're still here I really appreciate it, thank you so much for sticking with me through my very sporadic publishing schedule. I'm not gonna lie, I've been procrastinating a bit (okay maybe more than a bit), sorry. I'm going to try to be better about that though. I felt guilty so I'm publishing two chapters today, and hope to publish more really soon. This was sort of a filler chapter, but I finally have an idea for what happens next, so it will get more exciting soon. I'm thinking of bringing Eugene in, but I don't know when this story is set yet. Should it be around the beginning of the series? Should it be in the middle, and/or be an AU where Varian never turned evil? Should it be after the series? And if so, should it be an AU where Cass never left Corona?

Also, yesterday I learned that Jeremy Jordan's (the voice actor for Varian) 14-year-old nephew died of suicide in June, so please keep him and his family in your thoughts and prayers.