"I'm guessing this isn't what you wanted to discuss with me?" Cecilia asked, having finally processed everything.

"No, but it is connected, somewhat. The Council of Elders is still around but there are so few of us we have no way to fight or protect others on our own. Instead, we placed ourselves in the Safe Haven cities. One in each. Were here to watch and offer aid and wisdom if needed."

"That's why you work at Haven."

"It helps, lots of information flow but I do other work as well, for the city but that isn't important to this."

Sylas scratched at the back of his neck again, he seemed to be organizing his thoughts.

"It is not my place to get involved in other's relationships, especially between Mates. I told myself this wasn't my business but. The risk is too great."

"What the ever-loving fuck are you talking about? "

"Mages are very different from other Fae. Unlike other Fae who have abilities and certain powers specific to their species, Mages have the ability to use the energy and magic all around them. They have access to great power and can do a great many things. For most this is done through potions, rituals and other talismans that help Mages focus and channel the magic around them though their bodies and minds. Mages are like conduits that harness and direct the magic of the world."

Cecilia thought about the rune tattoos on Hammer and the pendent that had glowed when he had shielded himself. These helped him focus where and how he channeled ambient magic around himself.

"However," Sylas continued, "There are a few Mages who don't just use the magic around them but also have a type of magic within themselves. Usually, it is a connection to an element, and they have the power to create and control that element."

"I'm not sure I totally understand."

"Most Mages have Arcane Magic, developed though training and study, manipulating the magic around them. A rare few mages, maybe about 5 percent of all Mages have an Innate power as well as Arcane power. This power is not learned, it just is. They must learn to control it otherwise it will become disastrous. They have all the learned abilities of other Mages and a power that is all their own."

"What do you mean about a connection to an element?"

"I have met a few Innate Mages in my lifetime. One had a connection to plants, she could make them grow, die, bend to her will, anything she desired, the other had an earth power. Tonight, your Mate had lightening sparking from his fingers. It was coming from him. Innate Mages are rare, they often hide their powers from their covens and don't know the full extent of their powers. It is usually not a problem because Mages have such strong discipline and emotional control."

"But.?" Cecilia knew they were getting closer to the point of this conversation. She was overwhelmed by what she was learning and more than a little put out that she wasn't hearing this from Hammer.

"Mages in relationships are extremely volatile, the uncertainty of not knowing their partners feelings, the difficulty of adapting to another's aura, it sends them out of balance." Cecilia started to speak but Sylas held up his hand, urging her to let him continue.

"I'm not saying you are hiding your feelings or that you two should not be together. I am only saying that it is important for a Mage to complete the Mating process sooner rather than later. It will stabilize his emotions. The longer you wait the more out of balance he will become and because he has an Innate power, when he completely loses control of his emotions and powers, he could kill nearly all of us."

"How long do you think we have?"

"He seems stable-ish, having a task to focus his magical energy on will help but I wouldn't wait longer than a month."

"How is it you know all this?"

"I've seen it before. A friend from a long time ago met his Mate, a fickle little wood nymph. They waited too long to complete the bond and he set off a series of earthquakes, landslides and sink holes that destroyed the first Safe Haven Town."

"Do you think Hammer knows about his Innate power? He never said anything about it."

"I don't know, but we will find out and if needed help him with it." Sylas sighed, "I'll be honest, I know of him. He was very widely known in the Mage world. His is said to be one of the best potion makers to have lived and his magical knowledge is nearly unrivaled. He is a very powerful Arcane Mage, and the Innate ability makes him even stronger. If that Cult finds him, they will do all they can to get him."

Cecilia was stunned, so much information in one night. She needed to run.

"You're not what I expected Sylas, you seem very different in Haven."

"I'm complex Cecilia. There are many sides to me."

"Yeah, you're not fucking kidding." Cecilia pulled Hammers key from her pocket, "you know how to ride right?"

"Of course."

"Great. You take Hammers bike. I need to think."

Cecilia tossed him the keys and walked away. She had a feeling Sylas already knew where to take Hammers bike. She shifted quickly and took off into the forest, making her way up the mountain needing got be alone with her thoughts. One thing keeps repeating in her mind.

Hammer could kill us all.