And I kiss him back. Again, his soft lips feel so right against mine as we kiss. The world around us seems to fade out as we're too lost in each other's warmth.

It feels so good to be with him again. It feels so right. The big hole in my chest no longer exists, because Vaughn has come back. Right here. With me. And I can't be more grateful for what God has given to us.

A miracle.

Another night has fallen

Another night has fallen. I'm walking down the corridor of the hospital and halt in front of the room when I see Vaughn's parents standing before him. A nurse helps Vaughn to sit up on the bed, and I'm relieved that his body has managed to do so even though with difficulty.

"You should have been more careful," his dad's firm voice echoes in the room. "How could you miscalculate everything? You should have been more prepared," he barks.

Vaughn just stays silent as his dad scolds him. I've never heard the complete and detailed version about how his parents raise him, but judging by the sight before me, I can figure out that his dad raises him the hard way. But maybe that's what has shaped Vaughn into the driven and tough man that he is, with so many accomplishments in his life at such a young age.

I know that Vaughn wasn't able to think clearly with what Derek was doing to me back then. That time, Derek was definitely in control of everything, abusing our feelings. Even when the third bullet was impossible to miss, I wish Vaughn wouldn't have taken the first two bullets had we gained some control over the situation.

Clenching my fist tight, I look down. I hate myself. I'm weak. And I also know now that I'm his weakness too.

"For God's sake, he has just survived from death!" Vaughn's mom fumes at his dad.

And I sigh. I would have done so too if I were in her position. At least, they have to balance each other. I know for a fact that they both love their son dearly, because I've witnessed how devastated they were when Vaughn was still unconscious, as if they were also dying.

When Vaughn's mom turns her body around, she notices me, and so does his dad. Her eyes soften, and a sigh leaves her lips. "Now isn't this perfect timing?" She smiles at me. "Melanie is more helpful here than we are," she mutters to her husband, approaching me. "We're leaving. He needs you more." She gives me another warm smile, touching my shoulder gently before walking out of the room.

Vaughn's dad sighs and follows suit after giving me a nod.

I walk closer to Vaughn, and I can see that his mood brightens up.

"Hey." He smiles at me, taking my hand in his as I stop beside the bed.

I smile back. "How are you feeling?"

"Much much better." He smirks, stroking my hand.

Before I can ask him another question, there's movement from the door. I turn my head, only to find Jake and Lais stepping into the room.

I approach them, and Lais hugs me. "We figured out that you might want to stay here to take care of him, so we've brought your clothes and some other things that you might need," she says.

"Thank you." I smile while Jake puts the bag on the sofa.

"Did you bring what I asked you for?" Vaughn asks Jake, making me wonder.

"Yeah, of course." Jake takes out something from his pocket and hands it to Vaughn, but I can't see it because it's now hidden inside his palm.

I notice that the ice between Jake and Vaughn has been completely broken. If Jake still holds anger toward Vaughn, I don't know what else to say. His best friend has sacrificed his life to save his sister's.

"Well, then, we're leaving now. Just tell me if you need anything else, Mel," Lais says, surprising me. "Hope you get better, Vaughn," she says to Vaughn before leaving, followed by Jake.

My jaw drops. I don't understand why people are always in a hurry to leave me alone with Vaughn, like they're afraid that they will disturb us. I think that they're hyperbolising the situation.

When I walk closer to the bed, the thing that Vaughn is keeping in his hand bothers me again. "What's that?" I ask, and he turns to me with a smile.

He opens his palm, and my gaze darts on the pearl necklace that he once gave to me. The same one that I've trashed outside his apartment room.

He stares into my eyes, determination in them. "I want you to have this again, Mel," he whispers. "Will you do that for me?"

I feel tears pooling in my eyes. I nod, a smile forming on my lips, and relief crosses his expression. I sit down on the bed and lean down as he secures the necklace around my neck.

He lets out a soft sigh and stares at me with contentment, tucking a strand of my hair behind my ear before giving me a soft peck on the lips.

***

AN:
Hi guys, this story is reaching the end, but the ending is nowhere near this chapter. I still have something else prepared, so stay tuned :)

Love you all. XOXO.