29 | In the Dark

I feel a sudden shortness of breath, and my legs wobble as fear consumes me

I feel a sudden shortness of breath, and my legs wobble as fear consumes me. My eyes scan the room, trying to find a place to hide. The desk next to the window catches my sight, and I dash toward it before hiding behind it.

My hands shaking, I take out my phone from my pocket and dial Vaughn's number. I wait for him to pick up the call, my lips trembling.

"Melanie," comes his masculine voice, the sound of loud music in the club and people laughing next to him echoing in the background.

"Vaughn," I stutter. For the first time in my life, I'm experiencing the moment when I find it difficult even just to utter a single word. I'm so frightened.

"Hold on a second," he says, and the sound of deep thumping music and laughter in the background start to fade out. I assume that he's walking out of the club, because it must be difficult to hear my voice with all the loudness in there. I know that he's outside when I hear him push through the door.

"Vaughn," I choke in tears. "S-someone... Someone is here," I whisper, my voice shaking uncontrollably. I'm afraid that the psychopath will hear me, but I have to make a call. And if God still gives me one chance, it would be Vaughn.

There's silence on the other line, like he's shocked to the core by the information I just gave him.

"T-that guy--" I stutter, wanting to inform Vaughn about the person who tried to rape me inside the alley, but the words are too complex for my mind now. "H-he broke into my house," I choke again, trying my best not to burst into tears. "He's here."

Vaughn doesn't even utter any word, but I can hear his heavy footsteps now, pounding on the ground. Fast. He's running toward his ride.

"I'm coming," his voice sounds murderous and like he's speaking through gritted teeth. It almost makes me break in sobs from knowing that there's still hope.

The next thing I hear from the other line is Vaughn starting the engine of his motorbike. Then suddenly, the sound of footsteps in the hallway startles me, making me end the call in an instant.

I turn my phone off, fearing that the light from the screen may catch the person's sight. Quietly, I sit behind the desk, hugging my legs, my teeth chattering due to the fear building up inside me.

What does he want for me? Why would he do something to this extent?

I squeeze my eyes shut, shaking my head as I already know the answer. It's obvious, from the words he threw at me inside the alley.

He wants me.

All sorts of horrible thoughts begin to fill my mind. I can't help but think about the deeds this lunatic would do without having a second thought.

He'd rape me.

He'd kidnap me.

He'd cage me.

Or worse, he'd torture me and kill me after.