forty two

"Take it easy, we're not even supposed to be practicing today

"Take it easy, we're not even supposed to be practicing today." Hyerin panted out, arms growing tired from the amount of sets she had placed.

Wiping the sweat off of her forehead, Minseo shook off the pain. "I need to catch up, a week is the longest I've gone without training." she let in a deep breath, spinning another ball in her hand.

"Thanks for staying after school, by the way." she gave her a small smile, Hyerin playfully rolling her eyes.

"Jaemin's training with Jisung today, so I had no plans." she brushed her thin bangs back, shrugging at the thought. "Don't you have tutoring today with Hyuck?"

She paused in place, catching the ball that was spinning at her fingertips. The mention of his name made an emotion rise up to her sternum.

"I mean, one day off wouldn't hurt." she brushed it off, stepping back to the center of the court. Hyerin raised an eyebrow, not completely convinced.

"I don't know if I'm gonna continue doing the whole tutoring thing with him either."

The brunette's eyes widened a fraction, standing up straight from her hands that were on her knees. "What? I thought you needed the money for college." her eyebrows furrowed in concern.

Minseo held the ball to her side, pushing her weight onto one leg. "Hyerin, I'm so confused." her expression changed from the concentrated glare to a distraught look.

"What's wrong?" she frowned, running fingers through her loosely curled ponytail.

Letting out a deep sigh, Minseo thought. She had been slamming balls over the net to avoid thinking, but it always came back to her. The whirlwind of emotions was itching at her neck, rising to the only places that oxygen could follow through. It was a sickening feeling, churning in her stomach like she hadn't eaten all day.

"What do you do when... someone needs you, but you don't need them anymore?"

Hyerin pinched her eyebrows together. "Explain."

Another exhale came out of the slightly taller girl. "I just feel so bad. I still love him, I think, but everyday it gets so much harder to continue staying." she looked down at the floor, an unsettling feeling washing over her conscience. Guilt? Shame?

"And I don't want to act like I'm perfect because what I'm doing isn't fair to anyone." she continued. The brown haired girl took a step towards her, feet stopping in her peripheral.

"You like Hyuck, don't you?"

It seemed like the realization was only obvious to those standing around her, which made the sickness grow in her abdomen. It didn't feel right, yet it seemed to be the only thing that made sense.

"I don't know." It almost came out as a choke, echoing off of the gymnasium walls. "Would it be wrong if I did?"

A half smile formed on Hyerin's lips, looking down at the girl who refused to make eye contact. "Technical terms, maybe." she spoke honestly, making Minseo's face turn pale.