Chapter Three: Choice

Jules's POV:

"Are you sure you are ready?" I ask Skye. More for Zack, and I than for her. I know she won't back out now. Even if she isn't ready. A small nod is the only answer I get, so I turn my attention back to the tree line.

Zack steps out of the trees. When we can make out his full wolf form, he stops. I hold my breath, waiting on Skye's reaction. I watch her face as she processes what her eyes are seeing. I find myself relieved that I see no fear in her features; only curiosity.

The wind shifts, and I can smell Zack's arousal in the air. I watch with an amused expression as he takes in Skye's appearance for the first time with his enhanced wolf vision. Even with human eyes, Skye is stunning. There is a natural beauty about her. Pair that with the animalistic need to mate, and Zack has had a hard time keeping his hands to himself. I can see him fighting that need now as he looks Skye up, and down.

For several moments nothing happens. Then Zack takes one more, slow, step forward. He carefully studies Skye's reaction as he moves. Skye drops my hand, and I half expect her to turn and run.

Instead, she starts walking towards Zack. My jaw drops. I can't believe how well she is handling this. When Zack showed his wolf to me, I FREAKED. Meanwhile, here Skye, acting like this isn't some life-altering supernatural shit.

Watching them together things clicked. Skye is supposed to be here. To be with us. Even if she chooses to stay human, she is meant to be part of our pack. Hell, if I didn't know any better, I would say she already is.

Skye looks back at me with an expression that's a mix of excitement, and holy-shit-this-is-real. I smile encouragingly at her. Noticing no signs of fear or overwhelming I call out to her, "Would you like to see my wolf as well?"

"Why not?" She answers laughing and turning her attention back to Zack. Excitedly I strip, and begin the shift. I feel the change spread threw out my body, but it is not painful. When I open my eyes, I instantly know something is wrong. Skye's features that had been so happy, and bright only moments before had gone a ghost white. All the color drained from her features; I watch as she faints.

Well shit.

Zack registered the change in Skye before I had even completed the shift. He managed to shift back into his human form just in time to keep Skye's head from hitting the ground. I let out a mental sigh of relief, and quickly shift back as well.

Once I'm human again I run over to them.

"Is she okay?" I ask Zack.

"Yes, she is fine. I think it was just too much. Knowing we transform into wolves, and actually watching it happen are two very different things for her human mind to process." Zack answers, tucking a stray strand of hair behind Skye's ear.

"This is all my fault." I say to Zack, and I feel tears begin to form. "She was doing so well and... and... I just had to go and push her over the edge."

"Listen Jules... this is not your fault, or anyone else's for that matter. This is just a difficult process. You asked her for permission before you changed, and with as well as she was doing we had no way of knowing that it would be too much for her."

"Okay. Maybe you're right. Let's get her home so she can rest. I have a feeling she will have a ton of questions when she wakes up."

Skye's POV:

I wake up in my bed. Now in a comfy pair of shorts, and a loose t-shirt I stretch my sore muscles. For a moment I think I might have been dreaming, but then Zack is by my side.

"Hey baby girl. How are you feeling?" He asks. The concern in his voice matches the worry in his eyes.

Nope, not a dream.