Prologue: Fresh Start

Finally. I sigh, pulling into the small parking lot of  Wind Ridge Estates. Wind Ridge is a small apartment complex that I found online after several days of driving aimlessly. My only real destination being "away".  Away from my home town, away from the memories, and most importantly, away from the constant looks of pity that follow me around like a shadow. The apartments at Wind Ridge are small, furnished and well taken care of. They're also cheap, which means my savings will allow me to live comfortably for a while before work is absolutely necessary. 

After I park my old Chevy Avalanche, it takes only a moment to find the building with a small sign in the yard labeled "Office", and I make my way inside. A shorter lady with silver gray hair looks up from behind the counter as the door chimes. I smile politely and greet her.

"Hello, my name is Skye. I spoke to a Betty Smith yesterday about signing my lease and moving in today."

"Oh yes dear. I'm Betty. It is lovely to meet you Skye. I have all the paperwork ready for you to look over and sign."

"Thank you so much Mrs. Smith. I really appreciate you doing all of this on such short notice."

"Please, call me Betty, and you are more than welcome sweetheart. You did the hard part. Having six months rent in advance really helped speed things along. Of course, we still have to verify all your information and check with your references, but the lease is only a year and you have paid half of it up front!"

I give Betty my most thankful smile and pick up the clipboard. Looking over the paperwork, I find a  standard lease agreement and I finish filling it out in no time.

Twenty minutes later I am saying goodbye to Betty. Having only known the woman for a short period of time, I find myself reassured in my choosing of Wind Ridge Estates. Betty, with her sweet grandmother-like nature, told me about a job opening at a popular restaurant in town. Though I don't necessarily need to work right away, I make a mental note to go check it out after I get settled in.

Keys in hand, I head out to find Apartment 11-B. My new home for the foreseeable future. Spotting a dark tan door, on the second floor, with the numbers 11-B in black print, I head up a flight of green metal steps. It is quiet out and I take a deep breath before opening the door. I feel around and find a light switch with my hand. Taking in the room before me, I am impressed with the small apartment. The photos online did not do it justice. The apartment features tan carpet and a cabin in the woods feel. Smiling I walk through the small living room, over to the kitchen, and run my hand over the rough, rock, counter tops. They are a huge contrast to the slick granite I am use to seeing in kitchens, but I find myself loving them more with each passing second. A small hallway leads to the one bedroom. The bedroom is a decent size and a queen size bed is already in place. The closet and chest of drawers will easily hold all my clothes.

Smiling, I head across the hall, taking in the rock shower, small sink, and large mirror that make up the only bathroom. I am slightly disappointed that there is no bathtub, but overall, the good outweighs the bad. Now, time to start unloading the truck. The thought alone exhausts me.

I wake the next morning fully rested, and ready to explore my new neighborhood. First, I need to find a grocery store and stock up the apartment. A girl needs food. Plus, it'll give me a good reason to drive and explore a bit. I find a grocery store nearby, making quick work of my shopping list.

After stocking my new apartment with the necessities I head back down to my Avalanche, and enter the address from Betty in the GPS. Twelve minutes later I am pulling into a beautiful rustic diner. Sharron's is printed in large red letters, on a white sign, above a log porch. There are two large bay windows on either side of the double doors leading into the building. Taking everything in, I follow a young boy and his father inside. Just past the doors is a podium where a girl about my age is organizing menus. She smiles warmly and  greets the boy and his father by name.