Chapter 1

Jaliyah POV
...
" mane shut yo ass up "

i woke up to talking coming from the living room. I figured it was my cousin and her friends. She would invite them over
whenever my grandma went to work.

I was getting hungrier by the minute but was dreading the awkward stares from the people downstairs.

Nobody knew me and my cousin where related and I was completely fine with that .

I quickly got up, putting some joggers ,put my hair in a bun , and  made my was down the stairs.

It reeked of weed and men cologne and due to my empty stomach it made me feel nauseous.

As i came behind the wall that separated the stairs from the living room everyones conversation stopped and their eyes immediately landed on me .

"Good morning Jaliyah" my cousin said with a smile

I ignored her walking into the kitchen.

I made my way into the kitchen seeing a guy sitting on the counter.

Ignoring his presence i opened the fridge.

Nothing.

We could barely afford food and we usually skipped meals.

I sighed closing the fridge and rubbing my hands down my face .

I don't understand how you can go to work and still have no food .

"Who is that" i heard a girl ask from the living room .

"My uglyass cousin" kaliah answered.

Me and her never had a good relationship. It was like she envied me. Which made no sense because I was like a shadow on a wall.

"Aye you" the other girl yelled

I proceeded to make my way towards the stairs

"You don't hear me talking to you" she said

i didn't answer .

I heard sniffled laughs coming from different voices.

" oh hell no" i heard loud footsteps behind me.

As i made my way into my room the girl followed behind.

"Oh you think u big and bad u can just ignore me ?"

still no response.

Kaliah sniffled a laugh

"i wouldn't even try it, she doesn't talk at all "

She was getting irritated with me.

"I will beat the shit out of you"

i looked at her with a blank face .

"Get your cousin" she said walking off.

Kaliah walked closely behind her.

Ever since i was little i hated confrontation. I had blamed myself for my parents passing that i had emotionally detached from people . in my mind my dad's decision was merely because he didn't get enough love . For so long i thought that if he felt a little more loved he wouldn't have done what he did. I should've been the one to love him more.

I had emotionally detached from friends and family because i felt like i couldn't love them as much as i wanted to . Although i didn't know  the real reason behind what my father did , but  in my mind it was better to make one then to live without one.

And it didn't help that my cousin and grandma would remind me every day that it's all my fault.

I fell out of my deep thoughts and looked up .

There was a guy left At the door.

He had a look of curiosity on his face before he turned and walked away.

Strange .
<><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><<><>