In for a nickel, in for a dime

Start from the beginning

Shaking her head, she let out a derisive snort.

"And you care why?"

Hadi sat back, his gaze anywhere but on Rohina's face, and slid his tongue over his front teeth, thinking about his response.

"No, I don't really care. Just curious." He drawled, turning to flash a slight smirk in her direction.

Rohina huffed, amused, her lips curling up in a similar smirk before bringing her hands up to rub at her face.

"Of course." She said from behind her hands.

After a few second's agonising pause, Rohina exhaled heavily, slid her hands up to push hair away from her face and at up straighter.

"I don't know what to do. He has been after me for so long, I'm just- I'm so . . . just so tired. I want it to end." She said slowly but resolutely, her soft but unwavering.

Hadi's eyebrows furrowed as a scowl masked his face. He hadn't expected her to actually talk to him about whatever was bothering her. He hadn't wanted her to. And just who was this guy making Rohina Jawwad cry?

"Who are you talking about?"

"Zaman!" Rohina burst out in a frustrated whisper-yell.

"But I thought you broke up with him."

She nodded, finally tucking a wisp of her jet black hair that had been tickling her cheek behind her ear. "I did."

She picked up her purse from where it was lying on the couch beside her and fished inside it for a tissue. She then proceeded to carefully wipe her eyes and cheeks, removing the marks of Kohl streaking across them.

Hadi would say he waited patiently for her to continue, but he really didn't.

Once done, she sighed and fisted the now soot coloured tissue in her hand.

"The bastard has been threatening me ever since, " Rohina shook her head and chuckled humourlessly, her hands clenched in her lap and her eyes somewhere on her painted nails. "I even told him I'm sorry, I apologized to that psycho, can you believe that?" She gestured her hands in a sudden, jerky move for emphasis.

"Hmm . . . no." Hadi muttered, staring straight ahead, his foot tapping lightly on the carpeted floor of the lounge.

Rohina just shook her head, her hair bobbing to and fro with the movement.

"He just won't listen."

Hadi quietly contemplated the situation, letting awkward silence settle between them for a few seconds before,

"Pictures?"

"No. He says he'll go to my parents and tell them everything . . . about Bilal and Abdullah and everyone before him." She took a breath and turned to face him with tired, coal black eyes. "He said he'd also tell everyone here what happened with Bilal, why we broke up, I mean."

Now curious beyond proportions as to what might have happened between the two, Hadi made a mental note about getting it out of his best friend this time no matter how much he refuses. "What happened?"

Rohina snorted.

"Nice try, jerk." She said before returning her gaze to her nails.

"My parents," Rohina bit her lip, "they weren't really on board with me staying here in the hostel. They placed this humongous amount of 'trust'," she air quoted, rolling her eyes, "in me, when they finally did allow me. Plus, a whole lot of restrictions. They didn't exactly voice them, but I knew what was expected." Her gaze flicked in his direction for a second before resuming their examination of her nails.

"You know, they're a strange lot, my parents. They don't think I should hang around boys or date them. Especially date them. But what they don't know won't hurt them. I don't want them to know I broke their trust."

She sighed and dropped her back against the couch.

"I'm perfectly aware I used Zaman to get over Bilal and I'm sorry I did it. It wasn't fair, I shouldn't've done it and I am sorry. I've said this to him a billion times -"

"Really?" Hadi's eyebrows shot up to his hairline.

Rohina scowled. "Alright, twice, and it's enough, but he just wouldn't have it. I don't know what to do, I can't put up with him anymore. I can't agree to a forced relationship, and I know that's what he wants."

"I'll talk to him-"

"Whoa, no, no," giving a vigorous shake of her head, Rohina shot him a glare, "I don't want you talking to anybody. It'll just make matters worse. I just have to handle it myself."

"Then why tell me all this?"

"You know, I'm asking myself the same question. But I guess I'm just stupid that way." She stared at him with cold eyes and an expression full of dislike.

Hadi rolled his eyes - what a waste of time - and stood up to leave.

"Wait." Rohina burst out.

Hadi let out an exasperated exhale and turned around to face her. "Look, why don't you just report to the coordinator? I'm pretty sure this is a case of harassment."

"That would just fuel him."

"Do you honestly think he'd go all the way to Karachi just to spite you?"

"With him, you can't really tell. He's a psychopath."

"That everybody knows." Hadi shrugged. "But I think if Bilal is involved, it's not all up to you. I'd have him talk to Zaman."

"Yeah, that's a good idea." Rohina nodded sincerely.

Hadi shook his head, disappointed in her.

"Honestly Rohina, if that's what you wanted, you could have just asked me. But no, why should you bow down in front of anyone? You're such a drama queen." His eyebrows furrowed and hands in his pockets, Hadi scorned.

Rohina's eyes flashed and she stood up too, glaring unblinkingly at him.

"You-"

"And also a bitch. The other girls are right about you, you do know that, right?" He cut her off, now disappointed in himself. Why was he ever curious about her? She's the same inside out.

"And you're a fucking asshole. Every single individual in the university wholeheartedly agrees." Rohina snapped.

Hadi let out a low laugh. "Right."

"It wasn't meant to be funny." She pursed her lips into a thin line.

Hadi arched his eyebrows. "But it came out funny."

"Leave." She said coldly.

Hadi bowed slightly with a flourish d his hand, "Gladly."

Before she could say anything else, he did just that. Strutting out of the student's lounge with quick, long strides.

He had barely taken a sigh of relief when he bumped into his cousin.

"Now you show up." He sighed.

Sasha raised her eyebrows at him, then narrowed her eyes and went behind him to peek into the lounge. She came back smirking.

"She is the one you've been into these days? Rohina Jawwad, Hadi Maher?" She inquired, her eyes bright and excited. "In case you're forgetting, your best friend-"

"I know." Hadi interjected, keeping his face carefully blank. "And before you go too far you presumptuous creature, she was just crying and -"

Sasha cocked her head and grinned. "You were consoling her? Really now?"

"Yes, now tell me are you coming home with me or not?"

"No, I'll be staying with Leila."

"Fine," he said and started towards the elevator, adding, "and don't you come after me, keep your ugly nose out of my business."

Sasha puckered her lips into a pout, watching him disappear behind the doors of the elevator.

---

Let Me Redeem [Completed]On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara