5. the gay-straight alliance is kind of irritating

Lucas Garcia claps his hands together

And with those two claps, he effectively kicks off yet another meeting of hell. Or the GSA—in respective terms.

A yawn escapes my lips. Sleep deprived, as usual. Especially after the shitfest of yesterday afternoon, which primarily consisted of me making a good portion of the house spotless. 

"So," Lucas starts, commanding the group's attention in the easy way he always does. "For the event, everyone needs a role." He reaches out for a clipboard, glancing at the group. "What are you all interested in?"

"I'll be in charge of tickets and publicity." Ellie raises a hand, green eyes finding his.

"As per usual," Lucas nods with a grin, scribbling her name down.

"Entertainment." Monday leans forward in their seat, running a hand through scuffy brown waves before waving it in the air.

"I'll be on the design, I guess." Hyun says with a shrug, raising a hesitant hand.

The pink haired pansexual girl—who I've found out goes by Avery—raises a hand with an easy, "And I'll be on venue." She glances towards Hyun, grinning at the dark-haired boy. "And I can help with designing if Hyun needs any help."

With a nod from Hyun, and a: "Sure, Aves." Lucas writes that down. Meanwhile, I plug my earbuds in, letting music consume my mind and ears, to the point where everything's drowned out.

My eyes flutter shut, and I lean back against my chair in a rare moment of peace.

At least, until my earbuds are tugged out, the music sharply halting.

"Jason." Lucas says, glancing over at me. And due to the slight exasperation in his eyes, I can tell that he's most likely been calling me for a while now.

"What?" I ask, grabbing my earbuds and placing them in my laps.

"You didn't sign up for anything," Lucas says, head tilted to the side as the rest of the group glances in my direction.

"Okay," I say, after a beat, my eyebrows knitting together.

Lucas lets out a breath, giving me a wry smile. "And decor is the only thing left on the list. So, that means you and I are working on it."

"Sounds great," I chirp, exaggeratedly, and Lucas decidedly ignores me, rising to his feet, and clapping his hands together once more.

"Let's head over to the gym," He says, as the rest of the GSA follows suite. "So, we can see what we're working with."

"Sounds like a plan." Ellie says, packing light brown hair into a low bun, urging the rest of the members to rise to their feet.

She gives me a pointed look, and with a simple exhale, I rise to my feet as well. Then in seconds, our motley group makes our way down the hall, Monday and Avery deep in conversation as Hyun talks to Ellie and a couple of other people.