Blue Cookies

PERCY

We were laughing and joking around, just like old times, when I froze. Annabeth noticed my stricken expression, and looked concerned.

"Annabeth," I said tensely, "What about my mom?"

Annabeth turned ashen.

"Oh my gods. We have to go see Sally, right now. I can't believe I forgot about her."

"Who's Sally?" Leo asked, and I smiled softly.

"My mom. Want to go pay her a visit?"

...

The taxi ride over there was chaotic. The Grey Sisters did not disappoint, however, and we arrived at my mom's apartment in a matter of minutes and with smoke pouring off the tires. Jason, Piper, Leo, Annabeth, and I all stumbled out of the back. I think Leo threw up. I didn't blame him.

We walked in, and I waved at the receptionist, the same one that's been there since we lived in this apartment. She looked surprised to see me, considering she hadn't seen me in years.

Annabeth and I eyed the elevator as Jason, Piper, and Leo piled in.

"It's ok guys, we'll take the stairs. Meet you up on the third floor?" I said, and Annabeth shot me a grateful look.

"You guys are crazy, but okay. Bet we can beat you there!" Leo challenged, and slammed on the button.

"Cmon!" I pulled Annabeth to the stairwell. We went up a single flight and she was already wheezing, so I picked her up bridal-style and continued carrying her.

"Percy! I- can- walk- on- my- own-" Annabeth said in between pants.

"I know you can, but I want to beat Leo. So deal with it," I laughed, and Annabeth just wrapped her arms around me and pulled herself close to my chest. I think she was still in denial of having me back.

We actually ended up beating all three of them up to the third floor, much to Leo's dismay.

"But- but- you carried Annabeth, so it doesn't count!" Leo sputtered, and Jason laughed.

"He totally beat you, Leo. Come on, we've gotta go see Percy's mom," Piper scolded him, and Leo crossed his arms in annoyance.

My feet took me in front of the familar door, and I shushed my friends. I took a deep breath, and knocked on the door.

...

SALLY

My apartment was squeaky clean, not a single thing out of place. Paul was at work, Estelle at school, and here I sat, looking at old pictures of Percy. Him as a baby at our cabin in Montauk, a picture of 12 year old him and Grover, him and Annabeth eating some of my blue cookies. Crumbs still on his face.

I haven't made any blue food since Percy died a year ago.

I heard some kids laughing outside my door, and I started to cry. Percy would never get to grow up, to get married, to have kids of his own. It was all my fault.

If I hadn't fallen for Poseidon, then Percy wouldn't have to have been a demigod. He wouldn't have had to fear for his life every single day. He would still be alive.

I shoved his pictures into the closet and closed the door, wiping my tears. Then I started making cookies for Estelle for when she came home from school. I hesitated at the blue food coloring that had sat untouched in the cabinet for years. I sighed and tossed it out.

I heard more laughing and then shushing from outside the door. I few tears leaked out of my eyes, but I wiped them away. I heard knocking.

I ignored it, thinking that some kids were probably playing a prank on me. Ding-dong ditching, as they called it.