Chapter 24 | Completely Heartless

Start from the beginning

   "Your majesty, Alpha Xandro has escaped."
The utterance that invaded our minds through the pack link, stagnated us in our positions. An uncomfortable silence lingered among the sound of tired breaths.

     "What?!" The warrior is pinned to the wall in seconds. Jake pulls Rick away from the warrior who sinks to the floor.

     All of us phase to our wolves in a sync and sprinted back to the pack.

**

     "Our patrols have been tightened. We will be able to retaliate," Jake voices out. Although it was an affirmation of plans it sounded more like an assurance to himself. It was. But none of us found any solace in his words. I bet even he couldn't.

    Maybe Xandro was a ruthless, evil, sinister, and purely malignant but he was diplomatic and tactful in the context. As soon as he had touched down at his pack he had his pack members throw out are royal soldiers.

     It was not a matter of lack of capability of our soldiers but rather the fact of majority of the rogues siding with him. It was actually a great shock and misfortune to our pack because he soon after declared war on us. For all his villainous deeds and malicious nature he was reasonably insightful.

Werewolf wars throughout history have been carried out during the night. Under the moon's gaze. Tonight was full moon, a lunar eclipse. And tonight was the night another event was going to be added to the books of history.

Most of our ally packs had extended their hands towards us.

All of us were nervous. Not knowing the odds. Maybe I should've turned over the locket to him. Now, in turn for one life, hundreds of lives were going to be massacred brutally.

Rick was strangling within jumbled emotions. Anger over his sisters' kidnapping, disappointment over Xandro's conduct, nervousness over tonight and the pack's safety. His jaw was clenched, hands fisted at his sides, muscles taut, and demeanor rigid.

Adele enters the room strapping her armor. "No way, Adele," Aaron strolls over to her with a smug look on his face. "You're not going battleground." Of all the people I know, never would I've expected my brother to be so damn chauvinistic under the name of love.

"Come on, Aaron. Of course I am. Do you seriously think I'll sit back and chill while my little sisters are being held hostage?" she says rolling her eyes.

"No, Adele. He's right. You're not going to the battlefield," all of our eyes whip to Rick's at his statement. Et tu Brute!

"You need to be with the medics," he clarifies, "you're important that way." "But, Ric-" "Adele Beaumont, this is an order as your Alpha. Report to the medics," Rick utters, the command in his voice evident.

"Yes, Alpha," Adele retreats with a nod. Ron clenches his fists, his jaw tight, storms out of the room. What was wrong with him?

"I'll head to the observation post," Chris volunteers, leaving the room as Jake mutters something about checking on Tessa and leaves. "Are thinking of backing off, now?" Rick's question startles me.

Even if I'm going to turn in I can't let him know. "Of course not," I ensure him, "What in the pits of Tartarus gave you that ridiculous idea?" He shakes his head in response, "you've been unexceptionally quiet for too long..." he remarks. "And," he continues, "I know about you. You'd probably feel all guilty for Mae and Kay being kidnapped. And I'd be shocked if you've never had the idea of turning over the locket, even for the fraction of a nanosecond."

The fact of him having read me like a book makes me feel different. I'm not sure if I can decide between swooning and feeling even guiltier.

"Is the locket safe?" He asks me, "Wherever it is?" his question immobilizing me. He didn't want to know where it was when I first told me. His exact words were...

"I don't want know, Blythe. I'm your mate. I'm sure I wouldn't reveal the information that would result in you being killed to some stranger. But I'm afraid, if I knew I may let it pass somewhere someday maybe. You know it. That's completely enough. I believe in you."

I nod for his question, "Yeah, it's safe."

"I need to leave to the observation post too. You'll be fine," he says pressing his lips to my forehead. Mentally I think that it might be the last time I see him, so I inhale his scent of pinewood committing it to my memory. Tears spring to my eyes as his back retreats down the empty corridor.

"I love you," my whisper ricochets through the bare hallway but it doesn't reach his ears. I know it.

*******

Sorry for the long wait guys. Hope you liked it.

Only a couple of chapters more. 🤭 I can't believe I've come this far. 🧐

Vote and Comment.

Mwah...
-Vishael