Chapter 9 | I Know Who You Are

"What a person did when they were in."
-Veronica Roth

**********

*******

A clean, sterile environment of a hospital room welcomes me. My eyelids seem too heavy to me as unconsciousness keeps pulling me. I struggle to open them and finally manage. The room goes silent.

    Two faded silhouettes enter into my peripheral vision. Jake and... That red-head.

    "Adele, I'll leave her in your hands. I'll wait outside." Jake says abruptly, gives me a warm smile and leaves me with her.

    She taps a few buttons here and there and meddles with the machines and screens and turns to me. "Luna, let me help you up." She adjusts the bed so that I'm in an upright position. She called me Luna! She hands me a plastic cup of water which I drown down in seconds. She asks me to wait for a while and leaves elsewhere.

    I remove the tubes attached to my wrists and arms, rubbing the places in the attempt of lessening the stinging effect. I sit up on the bed as I impatiently wait for the red head to return.

    Why am I here? Oh Goddess I hurt a poor girl! Wonder how she's doing... All credit to my wolf. Stupid animal. I need to concentrate a lot I can't lose my control just like that.

    The armed bar stool next to me bears a very faint scent of Rick. He was here? I shake my head unknowingly. The red head seems to be a doctor and I guess her name's Adele. Where has she gone?

    My head hurts like hell. It feels as if someone's hammering my skull inwardly. I rub my temples at a soothing pace.

    She returns with some painkillers in her hand. She hands another cup of water and motions for me to swallow them for relief. I follow her instructions without hesitation. She gives me a look mixed with adoration, hatred and sadness. What a weird combination?

    "I hope you are feeling better. You seem extremely fine, but you'll have a headache until you rest properly. Alpha wanted me to drop you at his house. So if you are ready..." She trails. I nod at her and swing my legs to the ground swiftly. She turns to a closed shelf, rummaging for something. I stand barefooted as she tears open a plastic package with new flip flops and plops them down on the floor. I slip my feet into them as I notice my attire. I seem to be in my same sports clothes, some shorts and tank top.

    She eyes me carefully as I take my steps slowly and begins to walk beside me as I gain my pace. She guides me down corridors and halls with marble flooring and bright lighting. As we enter the hospital lobby I feel many pairs of eyes on me. I look up to see eyes filled with anger. Probably because of my sudden violence earlier. Some filled with sadness. But those were directed at Adele. What for? I don't know. Some expressionless.

    I avert my gaze ahead of me and continue walking behind Adele who seemed to have gained speed. She walks to a silver mustang convertible and gets in. I give her a puzzled expression and she motions me to get in.

    The car halts under the front porch of Maverick's house. I get out of the passenger seat of the car, while Adele gets out of the driver's seat. She has been momentarily silent all the way down here.

    'Well apart from the snarky and stolid glances she has been throwing at us,' mumbled my wolf.

    I mentally roll my eyes at her comment. Adele walks a few steps ahead of me but waits for me in the living room to guide me further. Probably making sure I don't get lost. She walks me to my room and holds the door open.

    "Rest yourself. The logical phase of your acceptation trials will be held tomorrow early in the morning around seven, which will be followed by the acceptation ceremony...." She trails.

    I nod my head in return. She exits the room with a last quick glance at me.

    I quickly strip off my sports attire and step into the hot shower. The warm water cascading upon me soothes my mind, body and soul. I wash off the dirt and sticky sweat on me. Drying myself using a towel, I find a pair of sweatpants and a baggy t-shirt to wear.

    Donning them I sit down on the bed picking up my phone. I unlock it to see so many missed calls from Aaron. I call him back but it straightaway reaches voicemail. I open my email and reply to some mails begins to ring again.

    As I slide to accept the call my phone, goes dead in dearth of battery. Letting out a string of curses under my breath, I get up in search of a charger. When I'm rummaging through the drawers and cabinets, the door is thrown open.

Adele stands there looking at me expressionlessly with a Manila folder in her hand. She mutters a few words, a phrase exactly which stopped my breath, when I heard it.

"I know who you are..."

*******

Hi guys,

The character Adele, introduced is a tribute to my very good friend Adel who encouraged me to write this book when I backed off initially. She was also the first person who heard this story. Any Adele's here?

Vote and Comment if you liked it.

Love y'all.... Mwah...
-Vishael