Part 17

Disclaimer: I have absolutely no knowledge of hospital stays and how long it takes things to heal so uhhhhhhHHHhh just pretend this is fine lmao

_______

VERA'S P.O.V

Two days had passed and Dally was finally getting released. I didn't even know what to do, how to handle myself. I felt ecstatic, but also hugely worried. I know he wasn't better yet, I know there was still so much he had to do. The doctors explained to me, and him, how to re-apply the banadage on his side and how often to take the pills he was given for the pain. They told us what to watch for; fevers, vomiting, the whole ordeal. 

I was waiting with him to get discharged, leaning over his bed smiling like an idiot. "What do you want to do first? Want to go get some good food? Something not luke warm and soupey?" I sang song to him.  He got up a little, kicked his feet over the side of the bed and did a small stretch. I don't know how he did it, but he still looked good as hell for someone whose been laying around for a couple days. 

"Food. Food is good." He said, thinking. He looked at me and smiled. "C'mere again -" He leaned forward, grabbing my wrists gently and pulling me to him. 

"Dal -" I said, rolling my eyes. Since his brush with death he'd been way more affectionate. Always making little ways to touch my hand or brush my hair back. It was...weird. It wasn't that I didn't like it, just something about it felt...different. He used to always flirt with me back in the day and he was never a stranger to joking around but this felt more sincere and something about that scared me. 

"Shhh." He said, resting his hands on my hips and holding me there, standing in front of him being held in place. "You know, I don't want you to think I didn't notice all this stuff you've been doin' for me. Asking all these questions, bugging the nurses for things, barely leaving my side...you're real loyal, Vee."

"Of course, Dal. You mean everything to me." I get out plainly before even realizing what I had said. It was true, there wasn't a doubt about that to me, but suddenly realizing it and saying it out loud like that surprised even me.

He smiled, bit his lip suggestively as he looked up at me with those devilish eyes. I held my breath as he pulled me closer still, and before I could say anything his lips brushed against mine gently. He was kissing me. Dallas Winston. My best friend. 

We broke apart and his hands dropped from my hips. It felt like I gasped for breath but I know I didn't. I was just semi in shock.  I know how he felt about me, the whole thing wasn't that big of a surprise but something about it actually happening now I still couldn't wrap my head around. 

"I've wanted to do that ever since that night." He mumbled, not looking away from me. "Vera, I need to-"

There was a gentle knock on the door as Darry walked in, holding papers and smiling. "God is it good to see you out of a gown, kid." He said. Pony followed close behind him and after a minute, Soda showed too. The Curtis brothers. Here to pick up Dallas and keep him at their house until he was ready to be on his own again. I had offered my basement but he refused, telling me I needed to rest and stop waiting on him. It was probably for the best, I'm not sure if I was good enough to hide him down there for who knows how long.

"Hey, Dal." Soda said quietly. "Heard you been wanting to talk to me."

Everyone had come to see Dally once he had woken up. The room was always full with people. Soda, though, was the only person who hadn't come.  We didn't bring it up, but Johnny, Dally, and me were all aware of it. Maybe he still for some reason felt at fault. I know he had kept telling me over and over again how sorry he was about everything but it was getting old to hear. He hadn't done anything wrong. At least, not that I can really even remember.