Chapter 16

VERAS P.O.V

Two days passed. Two days of doing nothing but sitting at his bedside, waiting. The doctors told me this was normal, that he had lost a lot of blood, underwent transfusions, needed to rest. The gang was always in and out, always a different face to keep me company. Johnny stayed the most. We didn't speak much. Words seemed to escape the both of us.

Soda was there a lot, too. In some weird strange turn of events I think he blamed himself. He tried apologizing to me countless times about that night at the party which felt like a lifetime ago but was only just a couple days. To be honest I had all but forgotten about it at this point. It was weird, but it was like I was on auto-pilot. I couldn't think, or care, about anything right now. Anything expect where I was. And who I was waiting on.

Two days. Two days passed before Dally finally stirred.

I wasn't even paying attention until I saw movement from the corner of my eye. His dark eyes were open, head still on the pillow as he watched me. When my eyes met his a smile appeared on his lips. "Hey, Doll." 

His voice was strained and groggy, but it was him. He was back.

Tears pooled at my eyes as I grabbed his hand tight. "Hey yourself."

"C'mere." He said, pushing his body sideways and making the smallest amount possible on the bed. 

"Dally, I shouldn't..."

"I said c'mere." He repeated, closing his eyes gently. I stood up from my designated chair which had now been imprinted with my body and climbed into his small hospital bed with him. I felt his arms close in around me, pulling me in close to him. "What day is it?" He asked, hot breath against my ear.

"You been out two days. Bit longer. We thought we lost you at Ponys. Darry rushed you here, they said if we had waited another minute..." I bite my lip, holding in tears threatening to spill. 

"I ain't going nowhere, doll." He says. After a couple of minutes his body relaxes and his breathing changes.I realize he's asleep again, and I finally let myself sleep too.

______________

"I know your ass, you probably haven't eaten in days. Take it." Dally insisted, thrusting the jello at me.  I scrunched up my nose and pushed it back. I was back in my seat, and Dally was sitting up with a hot plate of hospital food in front of him. 

"I don't want that."

"Well, I don't want it either, kid, so eat it." He said, pushing it back. I sighed and took it from him reluctantly as he passed me a spoon. "So fill me in, what'd I miss."

"What'd you miss? Nothing! We've all just been sitting around waiting for you." I tell him, watching the green substance giggle in front of me. "Cops were here wanting to talk to you but the doctors laughed at them. Said you wouldn't be up to speaking for a while and ushered them out. Was pretty cool actually. Guess they see this type of action a lot."

Dally scoffed, putting a spoonful of soup to his mouth. "I'm goin' to end up locked up for this one. Just perfect."

"You should talk to the cops, Dal." I try to insist. "They could help the get the guys who actually did this. They're the ones who deserve to rot. I swear if I ever saw them -"

"Hey calm down, kid." Dally said, giving me a playful smile. "They'll get what's comin' to em."

There was a small knock on the door which Johnny entered. His face completely lit up when he saw Dallas, and I swear, I think Dally sat up a little straighter too from excitment. "Dally!" Johnny exclaimed as he came running into the room. Before Dally could stop him Johnny was embracing him into a tight hug, arms engulfing him. 

"Hey, hey watch the soup!" Dally laughed, face completely aglow. Once Johnny stepped back Dally tried to smooth down his greaser hair and keep his cool demenour going. "Damn, maybe I should get stick more often if this is the fuss you guys are going to do."

"Sick my ass, Dal. You almost died." Johnny told him, folding his arms. "I thought I was going to be attending your funeral."

"Yeah well guess you'd have to buy some black and something other than deniem." Dally snickered while Johnny rolled his eyes. 

"The rest of the gang is heading over too. You know who was really upset?" 

"Who?" Dally asked, pushing the tray away and looking up at Johnny, a happy grin on his face. 

"Slyvia." 

I froze, looking at Dally for some sort of reaction. His smile fell and his lips tightened. Slyvia had absolutely no right to be upset over Dal. She caused him enough pain herself as it was and as far as I was concerened that proved in itself she could give a hang about him. 

"Oh yeah?" Dally asked. "Surprised. Maybe she has a heart after all."

"I doubt it." I mumbled. "She better not think about coming in here."

"Oh, don't worry. I already told her to beat it." Johnny said, stuffing his hands in his jeans awkwardly. "She was putting on a real show though. Crying and begging, all that."

Dally looked lost in thought for a moment. Was he actually falling for that? He had to know her better than anyone else, the girl was a complete phony. I felt my skin turn hot and I turned away, hoping no one would notice me silently fuming.

"The person I really want to see is Soda." Dallas said suddenly, breaking me from my thoughts.

"Soda?" I said, sounding more surprised than I had wanted.

"Yeah." Dally nodded. "I need to talk to him about somethin'."