Part 12

I had argued with Johnny and Two - wanting to leave and them not letting me. I was nervous, my stomach was in knots that Dally might be out there looking for Soda, looking for trouble. They refused, told me I needed to rest, stay hydrated which was especially rich coming from Two-Bit who was holding a beer as he said it.

As night descended I was finally feeling a little better though definitely still not a hundred percent. I had gotten up, used the bathroom, tried to fix my hair and make-up which was smeared eyeliner and crumpled mascara at this point.  I brushed my teeth with tooth paste and my finger and kind of used Two's shower (it didn't work very well.)

Johnny had left and Two was in and out of the room, puttering around complaining about chores and things to do before his mother got home.

I'm sitting up in bed when the door creaks open and I look to see Dally standing there, holding a plate of toast in his hands. He looks at me sheepishly as I sit up straighter - wondering how bad I look right now. "Went to get you something to eat. Apparently Two's family is surviving on cereal and beans." He says, shooting a look back behind him wherever Two-Bit was.

He looks toward me and I feel myself get weak again. Maybe I need more sleep. The way he's looking at me though, I don't know, something inside me feels different. Almost like...I'm glad, that he's here. Glad that he took care of me, too.

He hands me the plate of toast which is smothered in butter and I force a smile, nervous and not knowing why. As he sits on the bed next to me I tense up, suddenly no longer able to feel comfortable around him. God, what was with me?

"How you feelin', doll?" He asks, running his hands down his jeans as if trying to get them clean

I shrugged, taking a bite of the toast and not realizing how hungry I actually had been. "Been better." I tell him. "Where were you this whole time?" I ask, trying to advert my eyes from meeting his, not thinking I'd be able to take it right now.

"Went to get you food, went back to the party to pick up some stuff we had left there, then headed back here. Sorry it took so long." He leans back, getting comfortable. "Saw Johnny on the way back, said you threw up for hours." He said with a sly smile. "Can't hold your liquor anymore, eh?"

I push him softly, rolling my eyes. "I was stupid. The whole night was stupid." I say without thinking. I cringe inwardly, feeling like I had somehow just insulted him. Instead, he lets out a hard laugh.

"You could say that. I ain't ever babysitting your ass again." I think both of us know that wasn't  true. "You want me to help you get back home?" He asks.

I know I should go home, but where I want to go is back to Soda's house. I need to talk to him. I hate myself for what happened and I just need to make things right. Even if he still hates my guts afterward I at least need to know I tried. I shake my head as I stand up again, feeling a little woozy on my feet still. "I'll be fine, Dal." I tell him. He gives me a suspicious look but I ignore it, pretending everything is fine.