Chapter 19: Soon?

Zacznij od początku

I got the reaction I wanted out of them.

Syd's eyes whipped up to my own fiercely glaring at me as Lucas' body stilled and choked lightly on his food. I shrugged looking at Sydney. I didn't lie so where was the problem?

"Well, that's one way to put it," Lucas whispered. I had never seen Lucas so nervous before. He usually keeps himself to himself, but not to the point where he avoids eye contact like he was now.

"I support it," I quietly said to myself, loud enough that Syd would hear me. I stabbed my fork into some of the creamy chicken pasta Sydney had cooked and popped it into my mouth.

Sydney looked puzzled. I could see the dumbfounded expression on her face from my peripheral. "You're totally okay with this? Us?"

I rolled my eyes before looking back at her, "Sydney, who was the one that told you both to fix what had happened?"

"Yeah but you could've changed your mind," she shrugged and continued eating her food.

"But I didn't, did I?"

"And you have no sarcastic comments? No 'I told you so' or anything like that?" Lucas asked, questioning me with his eyes.

"And so, he speaks. I didn't think I was that intimidating." Lucas just rolled his eyes as the sound of the front door being slammed shut interrupted us.

A tired looking Calla rushed through the door, slamming her things onto the kitchen counter. She then pulled the chair beside me back and slouched in the chair. Her dull eyes instantly lit up once a plate of food was placed under her nose. I watched in amusement as she deeply inhaled, taking in the delicious smell of the food before taking her fork and eagerly stuffed the pasta into her mouth. She hummed in satisfaction and shoved more into her mouth.

When she finally looked up from her plate, she looked between Syd and Lucas then to me. "Are them two a thing now?" She asked using her fork to point at the both of them. "Is that why Sydney called me here and actually made an effort to cook? This is really fucking good," Calla finished off with a mouthful of food.

"They finally admitted what we have been saying for ages. You know what this means, right?" I questioned Calla, taking a sip of my water. I finished eating a while ago.

She looked confused for a second before recognition showcased through her now widened eyes. Her head whipped towards me and I raised my eyebrows at her, she immediately groaned.

"You, my friend, owe me one hundred dollars," I reminded her.

"Wait! You said in 3 months."

"Yeah, 2 months ago, Calla. From then to 3 months, they just did it a month early." I could see the cogs turning in her head trying to get out of paying me. Not happening. "Just accept defeat and pay the money, Calla."

She sighed even harder than she did when she first came in, "Fine!"

"What is going on?" Lucas questioned extremely confused. I could feel Sydney's calculating eyes watching and analysing the interaction between Calla and I. I braced myself as her posture changed, she had worked it out.

"Hold up. Did you guys bet on us?"

"Yes," Calla said as if it was obvious.

"What?" Syd said. I could tell she wasn't very happy about this.

My phone vibrated in my pocket. Saved by the bell. I excused myself from the table as Sydney started having a go at Calla.

I made my way into the living room. I opened the glass sliding door that allows you access to the garden. I took my phone out of my pocket and glanced at the caller ID, it was the same unknown number that had been ringing me for weeks. I had searched the number so many times, but it always came up with nothing. Impulsively, I pressed the answer button and held it to my ear.