Chapter 1 - Luck

People often confuse attention for love. Just like when you were fifteen, and your crush mentions your name for the first time that it causes your head to spin round. Or when a hot classmate you have met for a week says he wants to court you, making you feel special somehow. Or, the random guy you met whom you shared your first dance and kiss that gave you something to look forward to. You got to believe them all. Right?

Here I am in the cafeteria of one of the prestigious schools in the United States, Crestview High. I am currently sitting where most girls dream of being at, surrounded by rich and attractive guys.

One of the things I learned when
I studied here, is that eighty percent of this school consists of rich people. I don't know much about fashion, as I rarely go out of the house back in Iowa, but as per the high school movies I watched before and judging from the choice of clothes these men around me wears, they are one of the elites.

I studied in an all-girls school my whole life and I seldom see boys, but I won't deny the fact that they are extremely handsome that I am starting to think that rich people equals beautiful people.

"She's sooooo lucky." A squeaky girl's voice from behind us says.

"I know right! A chance to sit with one of them is a blessing enough, but to be with the three of them?" Another girl's voice replies, and I dare not glance at them.

I shift on my seat uncomfortably as I feel eyes on me. All I ever did was try to blend in and sitting here surrounded by these people isn't helping.

I glance at the guys I am sharing the table with and see that they are just enjoying their meal, and I can't help but wonder if they are hearing the whispers about us or they are just used to this kind of attention.

My eyes finally landed on the guy opposite me, as he stares at me with an intent to kill that it made me second guess my luck, as they say.

Because of his death stares, my whole week of studying here is partly spent trying to avoid him despite being classmates. As you can see, my "luck" got me a seat with the devil with a handsome face for a disguise. My one and only soon to be stepbrother, Levi Ainsworth.

Levi raises his eyebrows at me as if to ask me why in the heavens I am staring at him, then he rolls his eyes in obvious annoyance

I came to my senses as I blink rapidly and glance at my classmate who is sitting beside me, Zachary Williams, also known as Zach.