Chapter 196: A Husband's Anxiety

“Hey, love.”

At the sound of the King of Arendelle's voice, Elsa gazed at him, and flashed him that same heart stopping smile as she wandered her attention away from the ridged document she had between her hands—and the scent of ink faded away from her nostrils when the curl of her lips dissipated to a frown when she saw the same, somber one Aiden bore.

He wasn't even looking into her eyes like he normally would, and it left her chest aching for a brief minute. If she was not mistaken, the usual bright glow she always see in his eyes faded temporarily and have retired into a dull shade. It's clear to her he wasn't in his lively spirits today, something that rarely happens.

“Hey, baby, what's wrong?” the document  landed on her desk and the paper was soon replaced by her spouse's hand. Aiden gloomily grimaced and sighed, doing everything he could to not tear his hand away and it's scaring Elsa so much already.

“Are you alright?” Stop being oblivious.

“Can I ask you something?”

Elsa forced a smile and she scooted in closer, just in case he needed comfort. She knew Aiden have grown... Emotionally and mentally and for that, she is proud. There was something that changed within him as the days they spent together pass, and it's a good different, as a certain redhead would say. Somewhat, Aiden have stabilized his intimate feelings and his emotional-self acceptance and those are such improvements, or milestones to marvel at.

Nevertheless, Elsa knew his stature can weaken sometimes. She knew him like the back of her hand. She could read him like an open book. And with that said, she could see the visible doubt in those precious emerald irises she have fallen in love with.

Aiden always wished he was the one who would give the comfort; he hated relying everything on her. Not that he wants his wife to have conflict with herself, he just.. just wanted to be independent.

“Go ahead,” she nodded, all the while playing with his fingers and her own met the simple silver band with cold contact on his ring finger. She loved their wedding rings, and their simplicity.

“Elsa... Am I a good husband?”

And after that question, Elsa nearly fell off her seat. She was shocked. Was that even a question? What was going on? Did somebody-? Did someone-? Ironically enough her blood boiled for a heated moment because of an anonymous identity until Aiden rubbed her shoulder, which told her otherwise.

“Aiden, where is this coming from?”

“My head.”

“Tell me the truth,” she frowned, and Aiden shook his head, “What I just told you is the truth and nothing more.”

She eyed him, and she relaxed a bit after sensing he wasn't hiding anything. She leaned closer and kissed his cheek, “Prove me your point, if you don't mind, elskede.”

“Well.. There are times I tend to get too protective of you,” Aiden sank lowly in his seat, “Maybe I've been exaggerating whenever a prince would just converse with you and all everytime we host a ball. Or, or times when you pay a visit to the training grounds to check on the cadets' progress, I become too clingy.”

“But love, isn't that completely natural?” Elsa smiled, combing his hair, “I don't mind that. Because most of the times princes have the audacity to make a move on me even though they are aware of my wedding ring,” she chuckled.

“Weren't you uncomfortable when you first met me? I was a prince.”

“And correction, you weren't a pompous one,” Elsa challenged, “You were real. And you told me you had a cold heart if you can still remember; you were honest with me and didn't you take a hint that I like you because I invited you to take an evening ride with me?”

Aiden stayed silent. “That one time I carelessly told you to cook for me a week before Christmas. I despise myself for that even though I made up for it the next day. I shouldn't have... I shouldn't have done that. I commanded you even though I vowed to be merely your equal and I overstepped with my confidence.”

“Aiden, there are times men just want to taste their wife's cooking. I daresay it could be a common instinct,” Elsa spoke as a matter of fact-ly, “I didn't mind cooking that Fårikål for you. I had to revive my culinary skills somehow.”

“You aren't Chef Leonardo.”

“I'd do anything to have that man's talent,” Elsa laughed.

“Still.” “Stubborn boy,” Elsa groaned, “I told you, it was fine.”

“Well it isn't fine to me,” he made sure his voice was meek, “What about the times where I treat you as if you aren't capable of anything? Don't you get irritated or annoyed with me when I do that habit?”

“You're angry at yourself because you're treating me nicely?” Elsa gaped, “We are talking about chivalrous gestures here. That's anything but bad, love. Yes, indeed you get to the point where you think I would break a muscle if I move–”

“I knew it,” Aiden grumbled.

“—But to be honest, I've had my fair share of the extreme action too, you know. Somebody had to pull me back, some way somehow and that used to be Anna, but now she's got someone else too and that's you, and how you worry about me means you care. You never disregard my opinion and you always hear me out.”

“Don't you get annoyed sometimes when you are always left with the twins?”

“Oh, love,” Elsa smiled, “If you can count I rarely get to be around those two because of our duties as crowned sovereigns. The last thing I want happening is Aria or Chandler telling me I don't spend enough time with them,” she sighed.

“I'm actually really grateful to you because without you, I wouldn't have them. I wouldn't be holding the bundle I once wanted to have years ago... I thought it was impossible. But you came along,” she grinned, “And not only am I a mother of one. I am a mother of two balls of mischief, mind you.”

“I just don't want to become like... Like him,” he said with the presence of dread, “I just wish to be the best for you and maybe I've tried too much it's overwhelming for you. I don't want you to be uncomfortable.”

“Exactly,” Elsa smiled, and she took his hands and she led his head to nestle against her stomach, “Those statements alone prove that you're the best husband I could ever ask for. Sure, you aren't perfect to others,” she kissed his ear, “But to me, baby, you are. I love you because you're Aiden Fireheart. I love you because you're my warmth, my dashing idiot who sometimes forgets to take a shower after coming from the training grounds.”

“Hey,” Aiden bore a small smile now.

“We rarely fight,” Elsa spoke, “But when we do we know it both ourselves the outcome is not good especially the recent one we just had involving your past self. But we grow, and we fix our mistakes and mistakes make us more human,” Elsa shot him a watery grin, “Am I not correct?”

“Oh great, I've made you cry.”

“Ooh, you,” Elsa giggled, grabbing a handkerchief, “I'm just happy. That you exist, and I'm happy you are breathing and you are real. I'm happy I met you, I'm happy I get to spend the rest of my life with you. I'm happy you are you, and never should you think otherwise. That's under the command of your queen.”

Aiden sniffled, “Okay.”

“Alright,” Elsa tearfully laughed, having a hard time to recover, “Let's get these finished so Kai wouldn't have to remind us of anything. I'm thinking of taking a stroll by the park with the twins if we finish up early.”

“As you wish, love.”

To be continued
on the next chapter...