Chapter 89: When Fire Is Needed (EP. 04)

Once Fear awakens;
He will prove its power, good and bad,
Mercy will be given to those who deserves it— and the answer will be found within Fear's words.

____________________________________

"What makes you think you are worthy of getting the cure?"

It was like facing death itself. Tendrils of black vines encircled both the Fire King and his phoenix, pools of intense gold staring into Aiden's soul. The creature's sandy body faded into the color of ashes; the swirling gown of black sand lifeless and empty. It was just like history repeating itself of Goliath staring down David— but Aiden did not care nonetheless.

Well, the difference was that this time, David is standing on the palm of Goliath's humongous, ashen hand.

Cyra is hovering just above him, too occupied giving the black monster icy glares. He shot her a sharp glance that sounded like she must not do anything funny.

Because the goal was to keep on Fear's good graces.

"I will be straightforward and honest with you, Fear," Aiden bluntly replied, "I have failed many times as a man; a son. But right now, I do not wish to fail as a husband, and a father."

"Your past failures do not concern me," the monster harshly seethed, "I have never seen a man before facing his enemy with such decent manner and formality."

Fear will be your enemy.

"I do not consider you as my enemy. You are my wife's, but not mine."

"Then who am I to you?"

Silence.

"Humanity fears me, Aiden. It's my role, which fate has given me— I will always be the antagonist in someone's story. There are few people like you who recognizes what fear truly is."

And your wife is not one of them.

"Answer my question fairly, young king. Then I will answer yours. Give me evidence that you aren't one of the persons that are too happy that they do not see me anymore."

So Aiden pondered.

What was fear for him?

Fear...

Saying the word itself from the edge of his tongue was strange enough. The last time he felt fear, was leaving for answers. The unwanted appearance of failure deemed upon him, and failure is the brother of Fear himself. He was so scared of failing— failing to save someone who always whispered to him that it will be okay.

It's just been a day without her, and he's already longing for those caring blue eyes. Longing for her soft, warm skin. To nudge his chin against her hair... To hold her hand in his once again. His want became more needy.

Right now, no one will say that it's okay.

Not even his mother's soul.

Anxiety made him look weak in the face of Fear itself; since he is having a hard time providing what Fear wanted. The answer.

But another question popped into Aiden's head.

Why was he so desperate for answers? Is he lost, just like me?

"Your fear can only be stopped by you alone, Aiden. But sometimes, fear is not as scary as it seems. Fear brings out the sincerity of feelings— love brings out fear, and then their child, worry. And look at you now, Aiden. Look where worry brought you. You're all alone. Who's going to reassure you everything will be okay now that she can't?"

Aiden is torn between what Fear meant. His logic told him that his words meant self-praise, that Fear is brainwashing him how it is so capable of many things so he can feel its bad side.

But his words cracked his doubt like a traitor.

Look where worry brought you.

Look where fear brought you.

Then it knocked on him.

Worry, or shall he say FEAR, has brought him to get the answers. Fear, has brought out the hidden determination that he buried deep within himself. He.. He was so scared to lose her, to lose himself once she's gone... Once his other half was gone. Scared.. Afraid..

It took out the best of him.

So Fear is bittersweet?

"Face me, Aiden. Face your fear."

Answer me.

"No one will reassure me this time, I will admit it, Fear. Even my companion knows the truth— and Pabbie's right. It does hurt. But I've practiced being strong half of my entire life. Right now, Elsa can't kiss my tears away like she had always. Right now, I am just a broken man desperate to see his wife once again."

"And I'm sorry. I'm sorry... I got blinded by happiness that I failed to be aware of your existence. But I am thankful, Fear. I really am. You lifted the determination in me, you were the pathway all along..."

"Now that I have given you what you desired, please, give me the cure."

Fear looked at him wholeheartedly, a reluctant silence drowning the three of them. Cyra had landed not too long ago on her creator's shoulder, staring at his face uneasily.

"I love her so much, Fear. I love my wife, my queen, the mother to our children.. I love my other half. I want to feel her touch again, I want to see her smile again... All of us has loved at least one person before, even.. Even you."

A loud, breathy gasp of shock escaped the monster's lips.

Silence, again.

"She was beautiful."

That broke the ice. Both the fire king and the phoenix looked up from their trance, to hear it was the monster speaking this time with a loving, nostalgic emotion aside from harshness.

"Her hair... Reminded me of what gold really looks like. Her brown eyes were filled with freedom..  And then her laughter and her smile.. I cherished them all. I will give any thing just to see all of her again.."

Cyra looked at the monster guiltily.

"I loved her."

"And it feels good to love, isn't it?" Aiden smiled slyly, "It's wonderful."

"But it twisted me into this form."

Aiden sighed, and nodded in agreement.

"You have understood and recognized me, young king. For that, I will now give you what you want. Listen closely."

Who you are is what you need.

A/N: what do you think is the cure to Elsa's frozen heart, guys? Use the last sentence as a guide for the answer. Comment your guess here!