Erwin crossed his arms over his chest and started thinking, "She told me that when the Female Titan was falling, she reached for Erens' neck and had hardened her fingers, or started to, Mikasa cut them, it seemed like she was going for the kill."

"We have seen in experiments that the hardening of a part in a Titan's body occurs really fast, I might have a theory...", Armin said.

"Go on", Erwin instructed.

"It seems that the Female Titan was going for the kill, but stopped hardening her fingers when she realized that Mikasa was covering his nape, otherwise Mikasa wouldn't have been able to cut her fingers. That mission had a high number of casualties where most of them, were caused by the Female Titan, meaning that she didn't mind killing whoever crossed her. Then, why she didn't kill Mikasa? Why did she stop hardening her fingers when she realized that Mikasa was covering Erens' nape? She could've easily killed both of them there.", Armin said.

"So they wanted to kill Eren and keep Mikasa alive, I see..."- said Erwin.

"It seems that the real target, through all this time has been Mikasa.", Armin said worriedly.

"I think he thought that it was easier to take her away without a Titan shifter always hanging around by her side."- Levi said.

"Then why didn't he took her when we were kids back home? It would've been easier then."- Eren said.

"He couldn't, because of Levi."- Erwin said.

"What?!", Eren shouted.

"Levi, care to fill them in.", Erwin said.

Levi sighed and said, "I joined the Survey Corps under one condition: if they provided protection for Mikasa as long as Kenny was alive."

Eren, angry, shouted, "What! But you were there! You were part of those men who planned to kidnap her I saw you!"

"Levi is time for them to know...", Erwin said.

Levi sighed again and said, "Kenny Ackerman is my uncle, he saved me when I was a kid. I was about to die from starvation when he found me, he took me in and, as a summary, fucked my life. He was one of the top drug dealers on the underground, as he started to expand on other illegal activities, he left me in charge of the drug branch operations. We controlled all the transactions of the underground, but he wanted more. He found a contact to start a 'business' outside of the underground. We set a meeting in the same city that you and Mikasa used to live in. He brought three of his 'muscle' men for reassurance. The day I saw you in the hideout I heard you and Kenny talking about another kid. I didn't give it much thought thinking that maybe he was getting information on some hit he got paid to do, and the target could be someone close to the kid. The least I knew about his other 'businesses' the better. When we went to the meeting, he told his three men to stay behind. When we got back we found the military police close by, and we peeked through a window of the hideout and saw the three men dead. That's when he told me what the 'side job' was about. I crippled him at that moment to block him from getting the girl back. Knowing that Kenny would never let go of that 'stain' on his record of 'the one that got away', I met with Erwin and I told him that in exchange for me turning myself in, he would have to promise me to find that little girl and give her protection for as long as Kenny was alive."

"But you are not in jail."- Sasha said confused.

"No, he's not. I was tracking Levi for a long time and I was never able to catch him. He even used ODM gear to escape! He showed remarkable abilities so I gave him a counter offer. I said that if he joined the Survey Corps I would take care of the situation, and he accepted it. I talked to the military police about the events of that day and found Mikasa. Levi told me he didn't want to know who the girl was, that it was enough just knowing that she was safe. I posted Survey Corps on patrol on what it turned out to be the longest classified mission on the history of the Survey Corps, but it was heavily justified by having Humanity Strongest on our side.", Erwin said.