eight

"She's a strange one, isn't she, Astra?" I stroked the horse's mane, smiling at her cute little face

"She's a strange one, isn't she, Astra?" I stroked the horse's mane, smiling at her cute little face. "Brought me all the way out here just to make me wait. She didn't happen to tell you what it was, did she?"

Astra neighed before nuzzling me with her head.

I sighed and held out my hand from my back, feeding her the sliced apples. "Okay, here you go. Enjoy."

I stroked her mane once more before turning around, glancing at the cave entrance that Lexa headed in not long ago. After lunch, we headed out and took Astra out into the woods somewhere. I wasn't sure where exactly, nor why we were here, but Lexa insisted I'd love it and made me wait outside a cave whilst she did whatever inside.

"Lexa," I called out, complaining, "I'm bored!"

There was a pause before I heard her respond. "Two more minutes!"

I pursed my lips before directing my attention back to Astra and waiting impatiently for Lexa to return.

As promised, after two more minutes of standing around and doing nothing, Lexa came back outside and grabbed my hand with a small smile dancing on her lips.

"I'm sorry for making you wait, I had to make sure it was perfect," she said as she led me towards the cave.

"It's okay," I said with a playful eye roll, "but what is this place? Where are we?"

"Well, I figured that since we can't be together properly back in Polis, I could find us a place where we can," she explained.

I tilted my head with confusion. "What do you mean?"

She stopped me from walking any further and nodded ahead. "Take a look, Y/N."

I looked in front of me and gasped when I saw how beautiful she'd made the interior of the cave. It wasn't huge or anything, but it looked stunning because she'd lit a bunch of candles, scattering them around the space. There was a small opening in the ceiling of the cave, letting in some daylight, and I could only imagine how stunning it would be once night fell.

The best bit was the food spread she'd laid out in the middle, with blankets and cushions sprawled nearby to make the whole thing look like the epitome of comfort.

"You did all of this?" I asked with disbelief, glancing at her. "For us?"

Even in the dimly lit space, I could see the faint pink spreading across her cheeks, and it made my insides go warm and fuzzy because of how cute she looked.