five

The stars were beautiful

The stars were beautiful. I'd learnt to appreciate them over time, not having much to explore when I was hidden in my old home other than laying in the field for 'fun'. They sparkled so brightly and were one of the few things in my life that I could count on to always be there, even if I couldn't see them.

Of course, there was the sun, right? The sun never left, even if it was cloudy. But that was different somehow. I couldn't look at the sun without my eyes burning up, but the stars? They were always there, even behind the clouds, and I could always look up at them with comfort.

Y/S/N and I would always look up at them, imagining a world beyond our own, even if it was mostly unlikely.

The stars never failed to impress.

So, as I lay in the grass beside Lexa one night, I appreciated the stars once more, feeling overwhelmed with their beauty.

The two of us were on the training grounds after dinner, almost a regular occurrence for us whenever we weren't exhausted from the day's work. After I'd shown her my discovery of how peaceful it was in the evening, she'd fallen in love with it. We would sometimes talk about how our day went, or sometimes we wouldn't speak at all and that would be okay. Today was one of those times, but my mind was racing with thoughts, too many to keep to myself.

"Do you think they're up there?" I asked quietly, my family on my mind once more. "My parents?"

Lexa didn't reply straight away, and I was afraid that I'd ruined the quiet with a burdening question. To my surprise though, her slender fingers intertwined with mine, holding my hand between us on the grass. I felt shivers up my arm and I was sure it wasn't because of the night air.

"They're watching you, always," she said with certainty. "That's what family do."

I breathed out contently. I struggled with the concept of life after death, wondering where exactly my parents had gone to after they were killed. I liked to believe they were amongst the stars – it was a comforting thought, the idea that they were always out there, even on the darkest of days. But even that seemed a little far-fetched sometimes.

Something about the way Lexa said it though... I couldn't help but believe her.

"Can I ask you a question?" I asked softly, turning to look at the peaceful teen.

She hummed in response, still looking up. I admired her side profile, her skin glowing under the moonlight and her eyes reflecting emerald stars back at the sky.

Lexa and I had grown closer over the past few months, ever since she'd began to share her life with me. I wasn't sure what it was, but I was constantly drawn to the girl, wanting to know more and more with every word she spoke. She was beginning to mean so much to me in such little time and I didn't understand why. At least, not yet anyway.