ten

"How does it look so far?"

Lexa smiled at me in the reflection of the mirror. "You know you've done a good job."

I grinned. "I think the word you're looking for is 'perfect'."

Lexa rolled her eyes, resisting the urge to laugh. It was my favourite sight, Lexa trying to remain serious when I knew I could bring out a side I wished she'd show more.

We were in the bathroom and Lexa had just bathed so I was braiding her her back like she preferred – it was one of the few moments we could share together without prying eyes, especially since Eli had raised suspicion of our relationship a few weeks ago. Nobody could intrude this way.

"So, I heard you successfully kicked Rue's butt in training the other day," Lexa said, eyes sparkling with amusement.

"I wouldn't put it like that, but it went well. She was definitely an improvement from my usual training partner," I said jokingly.

"Hey, I'm your usual training partner!" she exclaimed, turning around to slap me on the arm.

I laughed again and paused from braiding her to give her a kiss on the top of her head. "Yes you are and you're wonderful."

"Hmm."

It was moments like these where I would get this overwhelming sense of happiness in my chest just from being able to enjoy the little things with my girlfriend. You know when people say 'you don't know what you've got until it's gone?' Well, in my case, I knew exactly what I had and how good it was. Sometimes, just a little too much.

"I'm gonna miss this," I said without realising, my voice coming out a whisper.

I lost my smile and my eyes flickered to the mirror, accidentally finding Lexa's. I thought she would ask me to change the subject or pretend she didn't hear me like she usually did, but to my surprise, she nodded slowly.

"Me, too." Her voice was as quiet as mine, almost as if she hadn't spoken at all.

I rested my head on top of hers, my hands moving to her shoulders. She grabbed them, holding them as we stayed in that position for a minute. I closed my eyes in that minute, simply appreciating her presence and trying not to let my thoughts wander into what it would be like when I no longer had her.

Finally, I straightened up and finished her hair off in silence – I'm not sure if comfortable is the right word to describe it, but it was somewhat pleasant.

"Ever since you got here, you've worn that necklace," she spoke when I finished. Her eyes were staring in the mirror, focusing on my neck. "Did your family give it to you?"